WTB Zone 8 Hardy Carnivorous Plants 19401

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Hey everybody! I know we have a few CP growers here, so I figured I'd ask here first. I'm in the process of installing a 4' x 5' outdoor bog in SE PA. Although I'm just on the cusp of zone 7 on the map, a fortuitous combination of a black slate patio intersecting an asphalt driveway has left me with an inside corner that has allowed me to winter over Rosemary 4 straight winters, including last years killer, so I figure zone 8 isn't a stretch in that microclimate. I've read of others in my area having success with outdoor CPs so I'm going to give them a try. What I'm looking for would be any assorted morphs of VFTs, any Sarracenias, And Drosera species up to the task like D. filiformis, D, capillaris, D. intermedia or D. rotundifolia that I know of. Also looking to get some live sphagnum of a red morph and other companion plants for the CPs like Bog Orchids, etc. I'm willing to pay cash or trade. I have a bunch of used aquarium equiptment, and more is always showing up! TIA!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
bump

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
i can't help in terms of trades, but i can recommend a couple good places to buy...

blackjungle.com has a lot of what you're looking for in terms of cp's and orchids. i've ordered from them quite a bit and never had a problem with their stock.

cobraplant.com also has great quality cp's.

parobeck orchids (exoticplantsplus.com) also has some great cp's and orchids.

hope this helps. good luck with the project!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
i can't help in terms of trades, but i can recommend a couple good places to buy...

blackjungle.com has a lot of what you're looking for in terms of cp's and orchids. i've ordered from them quite a bit and never had a problem with their stock.

cobraplant.com also has great quality cp's.

parobeck orchids (exoticplantsplus.com) also has some great cp's and orchids.

hope this helps. good luck with the project!
Thanks for the heads up!

Gordonrichards

AC Members
May 9, 2009
You can also go collecting as well. Plenty of bogs in PA and New York.
Get plants already in native habitat. Grab a bit of soil from around the plant, mimic ph.
Local colleges are a good resource.

I know a few high elevation spots with cp in New York, areas have been there since glaciers left.
Almost certain pitchers and sundews are in your state, you just need to do some research.
Not giving away any locations though but everything is easy to find!

-Gordon

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
You can also go collecting as well. Plenty of bogs in PA and New York.
Get plants already in native habitat. Grab a bit of soil from around the plant, mimic ph.
Local colleges are a good resource.

I know a few high elevation spots with cp in New York, areas have been there since glaciers left.
Almost certain pitchers and sundews are in your state, you just need to do some research.
Not giving away any locations though but everything is easy to find!

-Gordon
you want to check local codes before going this route. many of these plants are protected and collecting them may be illegal in a lot of places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The situation in PA is that collecting on private property is no problem, even with species considered endangered or extirpated, as long as you have permission from the land owner. However protected species may not be sold or exported from the Commonwealth. I obtained both an endangered and an extirpated Rhododendron species this way. But no collecting at all is pemitted on state lands. I know of a few places I've seen Bog Turtles not too far from home on private property, so that's a good place to start I guess! Thanks again for the info!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
bump

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
bump

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com