Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    06-01-2014 4:30 PM
    Posts
    33

    Question What type of fish is Brian?

    Hello all This is my first day on AC and I've been getting lots of help, thank you. I'm hoping someone can help some more by telling me whether I have a distinct breed of fish here, or if he's some kind of cross/mutant/mutt etc.

    His name's Brian >.< Sorry for the quality of the pics - the first shows the reason I'm asking: He looks like a fantail, and all of the fins apart from the tailfin seem to comply: nice tall dorsal, two side fins, two belly fins, two fins under the bum, but then... one tailfin :/ it's not split in two like a fantail, there's just one bit (and it droops at the top!). Pic two is to give you a better idea of his (or her) actual shape, which I also think matches my other jeuvenile fantails.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02385.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	192980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02384.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	192979

    I mentioned this in another post, but it wasn't really the right place and was just a sidenote to the post, so I'm hoping that asking here will get me (and Brian!) some answers. Thanks in advance!

    So what do you think?

    Erika





  2. #2
    Senior Member cicrush13's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Steve
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Last Activity
    09-29-2014 12:42 PM
    Posts
    1,462
    In my experience with deformed fins like this, it is usually caused by poor water quality during the first few months of life. It will not harm the fish, but just not aesthetically pleasing.



  3. #3
    Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    06-01-2014 4:30 PM
    Posts
    33
    Aw, poor Brian! I hope that isn't the case He's been like this since we inherited him. Our other fantails are fine in case you were worried. We have high nitrates at the mo but I'm sorting that starting tomorrow I was hoping it was just that I'd discovered a type of fish I didn't know about, but now I know he's just special



  4. #4
    Senior Member moonstream's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jayne
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Activity
    06-06-2014 4:15 PM
    Posts
    633
    I have heard of lots of deep-bodied fantails with single tails- I think they're called "nymphs" or something like that. because of his seemingly elongated body, I'd guess that that's what your Brian is
    29g planted community (1m dwarf gourami, 1m GBR, 1m platy, 2m guppies, 3 harlequin rasboras, 1m/4f cherry barbs)

    40g lightly planted goldfish tank



  5. #5
    Princess of Peons mykidsmylife's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indiana, U.S.A.
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 11:41 PM
    Posts
    925
    Brian is a very handsome fish. If it is due to a problem it happened when he was just a fry so don't blame yourself. I have an angel with a wonky fin from a bacterial infection when he was a teeny tiny thing. Not sure how he got it because the rest of the spawn is perfect. He is growing nicely and will be going to a new home here soon. I had no problem finding him a home. Everyone loves the "special" ones!
    mykidsmylife

    The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
    ~Stanislaw Jerszy Lec



  6. #6
    Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Activity
    09-22-2014 5:44 PM
    Posts
    94
    Brian is cute! My answer to "what kind of fish" was - a goldfish! So I'm not an expert on goldfish obviously but he looks nice.



  7. #7
    Member kcartwright856's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    KC
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Millersburg, PA
    Last Activity
    10-05-2013 11:34 PM
    Posts
    99
    What a cutie! Consider yourself lucky to have the best of both goldfish worlds!



  8. #8
    Senior Member Somervell's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Anne
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Last Activity
    07-28-2014 7:19 AM
    Posts
    1,096
    Cute fish. He looks like a short bodied comet from the pictures, especially the first. Did I miss in the post how old Brian is? It looks almost like his body remained short while the tailfins grew long-- can be a sign of stunting in comets. He could be some kind of cross between a comet and a fantail, but I am going to stick to my hypothesis. The other fins? Well, I'm pretty sure they come standard with all goldfish.

    Either way, he seems to be a lucky goldfish with someone who cares about him. Some goldies don't even get names, muchless someone who cares who they are.



  9. #9
    Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    06-01-2014 4:30 PM
    Posts
    33
    Aww, thanks for all the comments about Brian, he's feeling very flattered

    Quote Originally Posted by moonstream View Post
    I have heard of lots of deep-bodied fantails with single tails- I think they're called "nymphs" or something like that. because of his seemingly elongated body, I'd guess that that's what your Brian is
    I'd never heard of this! I did a quick search and found this: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Nymph_(goldfish) so you may be right, he may just have some recessive genetics that have resulted in a single tail.

    Quote Originally Posted by mykidsmylife View Post
    Brian is a very handsome fish. If it is due to a problem it happened when he was just a fry so don't blame yourself. I have an angel with a wonky fin from a bacterial infection when he was a teeny tiny thing. Not sure how he got it because the rest of the spawn is perfect. He is growing nicely and will be going to a new home here soon. I had no problem finding him a home. Everyone loves the "special" ones!
    Thank you! He is quite sweet. People can sometimes be quick to judge about animals being injured so thank you Looks like we don't know if he was deformed as a fry or just born that way (a 'nymph' apparently, thanks to moonstream!). Your wonky angel sounds cute >.< Suddenly I'm feeling like watching Finding Nemo!

    Quote Originally Posted by OrQidz View Post
    Brian is cute! My answer to "what kind of fish" was - a goldfish! So I'm not an expert on goldfish obviously but he looks nice.
    Haha well you're not wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by kcartwright856 View Post
    What a cutie! Consider yourself lucky to have the best of both goldfish worlds!
    I do, thank you! I have four fantails, including Mr. Brian, a black moor (who is now half orange!), a dalmation molly (used to have two but one died for no apparent reason ) and a little loach called Albie (Albie the Algae Eater >.<). They're all lovely and I'm very lucky. I'm hoping to give them a bigger and better home soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somervell View Post
    Cute fish. He looks like a short bodied comet from the pictures, especially the first. Did I miss in the post how old Brian is?
    Sorry I'm new so learning which info to include! I'm not sure exactly how old as we inherited him from family, but we've had him for about 6 months to a year I think, and he measures about 3 inches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somervell View Post
    It looks almost like his body remained short while the tailfins grew long-- can be a sign of stunting in comets. He could be some kind of cross between a comet and a fantail, but I am going to stick to my hypothesis. The other fins? Well, I'm pretty sure they come standard with all goldfish.
    You may be right. I'm inclined to think he may just be a 'nymph' fantail, so we'll have to see who's right as he grows up and gets his adult body!

    Quote Originally Posted by Somervell View Post
    Either way, he seems to be a lucky goldfish with someone who cares about him. Some goldies don't even get names, muchless someone who cares who they are.
    Aw, thanks! All my fish have names, even the loach hehe.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mixing small fish with large fish of same type
    By Holly9937 in forum General Freshwater
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
  2. Looking for a certain type of FW fish
    By psariandras in forum Freshwater Newbie Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 6:54 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 7:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •