What type of fish is Brian?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ezziecat

AC Members
Mar 11, 2012
Hello all :) This is my first day on AC and I've been getting lots of help, thank you. I'm hoping someone can help some more by telling me whether I have a distinct breed of fish here, or if he's some kind of cross/mutant/mutt etc.

His name's Brian >.< Sorry for the quality of the pics - the first shows the reason I'm asking: He looks like a fantail, and all of the fins apart from the tailfin seem to comply: nice tall dorsal, two side fins, two belly fins, two fins under the bum, but then... one tailfin :/ it's not split in two like a fantail, there's just one bit (and it droops at the top!). Pic two is to give you a better idea of his (or her) actual shape, which I also think matches my other jeuvenile fantails.

DSC02385.JPGDSC02384.JPG

I mentioned this in another post, but it wasn't really the right place and was just a sidenote to the post, so I'm hoping that asking here will get me (and Brian!) some answers. Thanks in advance!

So what do you think?

Erika :)

DSC02384.JPG DSC02385.JPG

ezziecat

AC Members
Mar 11, 2012
Aw, poor Brian! I hope that isn't the case :( He's been like this since we inherited him. Our other fantails are fine in case you were worried. We have high nitrates at the mo but I'm sorting that starting tomorrow :) I was hoping it was just that I'd discovered a type of fish I didn't know about, but now I know he's just special ;)

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I have heard of lots of deep-bodied fantails with single tails- I think they're called "nymphs" or something like that. because of his seemingly elongated body, I'd guess that that's what your Brian is :)

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Brian is a very handsome fish. If it is due to a problem it happened when he was just a fry so don't blame yourself. I have an angel with a wonky fin from a bacterial infection when he was a teeny tiny thing. Not sure how he got it because the rest of the spawn is perfect. He is growing nicely and will be going to a new home here soon. I had no problem finding him a home. Everyone loves the "special" ones! :D

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Brian is cute! My answer to "what kind of fish" was - a goldfish! So I'm not an expert on goldfish obviously but he looks nice.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Cute fish. He looks like a short bodied comet from the pictures, especially the first. Did I miss in the post how old Brian is? It looks almost like his body remained short while the tailfins grew long-- can be a sign of stunting in comets. He could be some kind of cross between a comet and a fantail, but I am going to stick to my hypothesis. The other fins? Well, I'm pretty sure they come standard with all goldfish.

Either way, he seems to be a lucky goldfish with someone who cares about him. Some goldies don't even get names, muchless someone who cares who they are. :)

ezziecat

AC Members
Mar 11, 2012
Aww, thanks for all the comments about Brian, he's feeling very flattered ;)

I have heard of lots of deep-bodied fantails with single tails- I think they're called "nymphs" or something like that. because of his seemingly elongated body, I'd guess that that's what your Brian is
I'd never heard of this! I did a quick search and found this: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Nymph_(goldfish) so you may be right, he may just have some recessive genetics that have resulted in a single tail.

Brian is a very handsome fish. If it is due to a problem it happened when he was just a fry so don't blame yourself. I have an angel with a wonky fin from a bacterial infection when he was a teeny tiny thing. Not sure how he got it because the rest of the spawn is perfect. He is growing nicely and will be going to a new home here soon. I had no problem finding him a home. Everyone loves the "special" ones! :D
Thank you! He is quite sweet. People can sometimes be quick to judge about animals being injured so thank you :) Looks like we don't know if he was deformed as a fry or just born that way (a 'nymph' apparently, thanks to moonstream!). Your wonky angel sounds cute >.< Suddenly I'm feeling like watching Finding Nemo!

Brian is cute! My answer to "what kind of fish" was - a goldfish! So I'm not an expert on goldfish obviously but he looks nice.
Haha well you're not wrong!

What a cutie! Consider yourself lucky to have the best of both goldfish worlds!
I do, thank you! I have four fantails, including Mr. Brian, a black moor (who is now half orange!), a dalmation molly (used to have two but one died for no apparent reason :( ) and a little loach called Albie (Albie the Algae Eater >.<). They're all lovely and I'm very lucky. I'm hoping to give them a bigger and better home soon.

Cute fish. He looks like a short bodied comet from the pictures, especially the first. Did I miss in the post how old Brian is?
Sorry I'm new so learning which info to include! I'm not sure exactly how old as we inherited him from family, but we've had him for about 6 months to a year I think, and he measures about 3 inches.

It looks almost like his body remained short while the tailfins grew long-- can be a sign of stunting in comets. He could be some kind of cross between a comet and a fantail, but I am going to stick to my hypothesis. The other fins? Well, I'm pretty sure they come standard with all goldfish.
You may be right. I'm inclined to think he may just be a 'nymph' fantail, so we'll have to see who's right as he grows up and gets his adult body!

Either way, he seems to be a lucky goldfish with someone who cares about him. Some goldies don't even get names, muchless someone who cares who they are. :)
Aw, thanks! All my fish have names, even the loach hehe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store