NLS Which formula to feed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I have been feeding my peacock Cichlids and yellow labs the NLS Cichlid formula, but they are only 1mm pellets. I'm feeding it like crazy because the pieces are small and want to move them to another NLS formula with bigger pellets. I'm not sure which to use, so what would be the best formula to switch to?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I use either .5mm Grow or 1mm Cichlid pellets for all my fish. Eureka red/ruby red Peacocks and yellow Lab's, maingano, various pleco's and Synodontis, even the big old fat eupterus and cd-size severums are happy to eat them. Occasionally spirulina flakes for variety.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Frankly I've managed to come up with most of the NLS food formulas and feed most of my fish a combination of all kinds of different things but like toddnbecka i base my diet on 1mm pellets for my cichlids, 1mm or .5 community for my SA tanks. I'd certainly say that its a good idea to branch out a little bit with your diets, try some live, some frozen, even fresh veggies, all of the while making sure that the fish gets a solid staple food like the NLS pellets regularly.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
They do get frozen foods, sometimes some flaked food, algae wafers, shrimp pellets (more for the catfish but they eat them too). I guess I just feel like I'm wasting with the 1mm pellets, not to mention how much of them they eat, and didn't know if going up to like the NLS medium fish which has 2mm pellets would be comparable to the 1mm cichlid pellets just with bigger pellets?

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
If they're getting a varied diet I really doubt it would do any harm.

mbuna13

AC Members
Aug 29, 2007
Arizona
I had the same problem as my Cichlids got bigger. I feed them home made food at night but pellets in the morning. I use a combo of the NLS pellets and Omega 1 Cichlid formula which has small, medium an large sizes.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Just be careful about going too large of a pellet size. When I feed my Quarter size angels nls 1mm they eat it, but during the process they eat, spit, eat again, spit again, then finally eating it. Fouls/clouds the water really fast that way. I had to but .5 mm for them now. If they are hungry feed them more to grow faster. Nls has a .8mm too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store