Is the basket inside aquaclear filters of any use

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
I noticed that the basket on one of my aquaclear filters had popped up leaving some of the media pretty dry. The media wasn't full either. I think that the notch in the basket was not catching with the side impeller plastic part, so I just removed the basket entirely.

I do have some other used aquaclears that didn't come with a basket, and they work fine as far as I know. Do you think the basket only for removing media quickly, or do you think it leaves a bit of a gap in the media cavity for water to circulate. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
The only thing the basket is for is to make it easy to remove the media. You could simply unplug the unit and move it to the sink for cleaning. No need for a basket.or just place everything in a bag.

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
I have three AquaClears and this is an issue on only one of them. My solution was to weight down the top by setting something on top of the lid, but it looks rather ridiculous. I'm guessing it's a manufacturing error in certain products.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
The basket keeps the media about 1/2" off the bottom - it needs to do this as the impeller is pulling water into the bottom and you want it to flow up through all the media. Just my $.02, but I believe running w/o the basket will be a mistake.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
thx for your input. I think what I'll do is put a small bag of bio media on the bottom to prop it up so that there's a small gap that the water can flow through. Or I'll just try the basket again and rinse everything reallly good. Maybe the notch was so algaefied that it popped up and just needs a good cleaning. Not a major problem but a weird inconvenience nonetheless.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't use the baskets, and judging by the filthiness, I think it's pulling water through all of the media. (I use carbon sometimes, and it's obviously working since the tank does look extra shiny after a few hours.) I find the baskets pretty useless, myself! Unless you like the reminder to clean your filter by having the basket pop the cover off of your filter...

A simple solution is to put a flat rock on the top of your media, but I just find it unnecessary to use them.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't Aquaclear filters have lifetime warranties? Has any called Hagen to find out what they'll do about it?
The motors are 1 year.. I had one burn out and seize on me after a few months and contacted Hagen.. AT&T CSR? Dell Tech Support? Your worst outsourced to India CS, or tech support experience? Hagen makes them all look like professionals, I ended up buying a new motor on ebay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store