Great Day driftwood collecting!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
Nice warm day, so I took a hike. Without the underbrush grown in yet, it was easy to spot some nice driftwood pieces.IMAG0256.jpg

Here's a closeup on my favorite...nice hollow area inside and great detail...can't wait to watch loaches zooming in and out of it.
IMAG0257.jpg

Got 'em soaking in bleach & water now :)

IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0257.jpg

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
3 of the pieces are oak, I've used it before and I know it's safe...just gotta soak it a bit longer because it's dense.
Unfortunately I couldn't ID the other 2, so I'll give them a carbon soak after the bleach, then start them in the QT tank.

I've found that driftwood almost always has a bit of bouyancy, so I screw them into slate.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
only reason im asking is because im trying to find driftwood at my local stream but i dont know what to pick. i have some driftwood in my garage but i dont know if its safe.

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
Yeah I'm usually pretty paranoid about what kind of wood I use, I couldn't resist the non-ID'd pieces because of their shape. Oak, and apple are my favorite because the shape of the trees is so distinct, you know what you're getting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store