What the... ewwww! Oh. Wait. Cool! (Mystery Snail Eggs)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Just cleaned my 20 gallon and when I removed the hood, the first thing I thought was:

WHAT THE FUNK IS THAT???

Looked like a pink poop, or something dead and rotting.

Then I remembered I hadn't seen one of my mystery snails for a day or so. And THEN I also remembered they'd looked pretty well acquainted about a week ago.

That's right, I have me a clutch of mystery snail eggs! My first ever!

I know it's not a big big deal because hey, mystery snails. But I always love it when things breed (now, if only my platinum angels would get the hint) and I'd like to try to raise them. They clutch was laid under the hood, right over my sponge filter. I think the female found that spot attractive because the bubbles will keep the eggs moist.

Do I just leave them where they lie, or would I have better results trying to move them to a container or bag with some damp towels?

It would be cool, because one of them isn't in good condition and might not last much longer. His/her shell is peeling. I think s/he was raised calcium deficient, and I've been supplementing with kale and calcium tablets, but so far, not much improvement. So, at least a piece of him/her could live on. ;)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I would leave them where they are...its what i do...even with me taking half of them out per clutch out of 3 clutches i have over 200 babies in my tank at the moment..they are so fun to watch grow!!

congrats ^_^ expect more eggs shortly

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
About how long until they hatch? And do I have to feed the young anything special, or just the same foods the adults eat?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Usually they hatch in 2-3 weeks and you feed the babies what you do the adults. Mine always go nuts over blanched zucchini. They are so fun to watch hatch and grow. They look like wee adults.

Congratulations on your clutch!!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks, I'm really hoping they hatch out. I bet the little bebes are so cute. :) Mine like cucumber and blanched kale. I haven't tried zucchini but I've heard they also like a thawed frozen Brussels sprout.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Leave them be, but watch for them mine have laid a bunch of clutches and every time it seems the eggs on the bottom form a little shelf and prevent the babies from going into.the water so I break it away. I think the eggs have to be completely dry not moist and it laid them there because it couldnt escape the tank, mine lay on the half of the tank away from the bubbler and filtration all the time amd I think the bottom ones might not hatch because they might get wet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
It is exciting, I felt the same way when I got my first clutch. Be prepared for possibly (and very likely) hundreds of snails, granted you may not see this many but the potential is there. You can always sell them, when I had them breeding you had to have a permit to ship them so I was giving them to the lfs by the 100's. Good luck, BTW the eggs are ready to hatch when they look sort of blue kinda moldy like. They won't be that pretty pink they will have a blueish hue. If you touch them now they should be hard and dry, when they get that blueish look gently touch them, if they are ready the eggs will be super soft and give way VOILA babies.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Well, the clutch I posted about, the snail had laid in an area that was too wet, so it never hatched. Then she laid a second on the outside of the filter, and I subsequently found her on the floor (she survived). She had a small third clutch, and THAT hatched tonight. And OMG these little things are the cutest EVER.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Awww. Congrats on the babies!! They are absolutely precious, so tiny and such perfect replicas of adults. She was determined to give you some babies! Glad she is okay after her fall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store