Sewellia Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The other night I had shifted the Najas mass to one side to see how the java moss in the 20 high was growing and spotted an odd movement on the sand. Looking closer, I was pleasantly surprised to find a wee Sewellia among the cherry shrimp. I suspect there would be more, but the LDA-08's have probably been eating the eggs. Need to move them to another tank, the 20 was actually the QT tank at one time. Then some more fish came along and I didn't have another tank suitable or ready... Filtration is 2 aquaclears, 200 and a 100, along with an air-driven sponge filter. I think there are 9-10 adult Sewellia lineolata and reticulata in the tank, been there for months and it's impossible to get a head count w/out stripping down the tank. Also 7 LDA-08 uber-dwarf BN and uncountable cherry shrimp (started as a dozen or so a few months back.)
Pics (good ones at least) of such wee critters are hard to get with my autofocus point-and-shoot camera, but I'm too busy/lazy to buy another SLR and learn to use it.

For size reference, that's a small cichlid stone on the left and .5mm NLS Grow pellets scattered around the rock.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Congrats Todd ! If your sewellias are anything like mine, once they start breeding, they keep going. I keep mine in a community tank with some plecos, and that helps to keep the population of the sewellias in check, as they have hundreds of fry at a time. Again, congrats !!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Congrats on the sewellia fry. I have some in my 20L RCS tank that is loaded with Najas grass. Maybe that is the trick to get them to spawn, lots of hiding spots.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The fry looks more like a tiny weather loach than a ray, it will be interesting to watch it develop. Cute little bugger in any case, not shy like the adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store