Can someone please advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sanchezkk

AC Members
Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, IN USA
Real Name
Kenneth Sanchez
I am cycling my tank and I have been working at this since February 24th, and I just noticed some green stuff on my rock. Can someone please advise me as to what this is?

Thx

uploadfromtaptalk1331868823311.jpguploadfromtaptalk1331868811284.jpguploadfromtaptalk1331868796112.jpguploadfromtaptalk1331868779915.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1331868779915.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1331868796112.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1331868811284.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1331868823311.jpg

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
During all my years in this hobby (Retired due to further health problems), for your tanks algae is not the normal algae it should be. I have to believe that your problem could be all due to your tanks water currents. it is the only thing I could think of that is cursing you this type of algae.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of water are you using?? What kind of lights do you have?? How long are they on??

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
It kind of looks like Diatom Algae to me. From what I understand, Diatoms are a part of the cycling process and should go away after a few weeks or so. If it doesn't, get a cleaning crew up in that tank. :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I don't see anything there that is abnormal for a new tank. Looks like the start of some hair algae, diatoms, maybe some cyanobacteria and possibly the beginnings of coraline (last pic). More info on your system would help (water source, lighting, water parameters (nitrate, nitrite and ammonia)).

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
^ Agreed.

Could be early development of the various algaes. Hair algae I know tends to start off as a mossy looking algae. If nothing eats it then it shifts into the form most people recognize.

Sanchezkk

AC Members
Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, IN USA
Real Name
Kenneth Sanchez
Here's my progress so far as of 0730 hrs on 03/23/2012

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 2.0ppm
Nitrates: 160ppm
Gravity/Salinity: 1.024

Finally some progress!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
tanker ask you of what kind of water you using, type of lighting and how long the lights are on??

Dohno, it might been a good while sense i maintained my marine systems, what i remember of Diatom Algae, i only had to wave a hand across the area were Diatom Algae is, which was often when starting a new tank, all over the tank, even on the tank glass walls which always cleaned off quiet easily. I do know that any eel tanks i started, Diatom Algae was the only algae i ever seen and it came off from the LR quiet easily without brushing it off, and the algae is often brown and can be dusted off quiet easily.

I also believe that there are no two tanks a like, that each person in how they set up their system and how the LR if positioned as well as the pumps used for the tanks water currents, if not placed in the proper position, one could see a different effect then what others gotten from their tanks. Like for myself, only once i seen in my tanks during all the years i maintained them, i seen a little patch of red slime only once, and i not used any solution like i hear others talking about, i only cleaned that area for my first step and watch it to see it appear again, it did. Then i looked to adjust the currents of that area, and it no longer reappeared.

I had never used any dosing methods for algae's, nitrates and nitrites, i maintained it the old fashion way, water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store