Help , something wrong with my Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
I posted the photos of my 4 new Angels I got last Monday. Well I noticed my Smokey was just hanging in the corner near the heater all day yesterday. Today was the same thing. Would not eat. I tried to hand feed it some bloodworms and it took a couple of them. Now he/she is tucked in over by the filter and just nipping for air by the bubbles. Still wont eat.
My water is fine, just did a change couple days ago. All my other fish and angles are perfect and swimming around. My temp is 80F and a 60gl tank.

I also have a 40 gl with 2 Parrots and FireMouth and a 20 gl shrimp tank.
Not sure I should move it. I can't buy another tank right now, I have spent over $1100.00 on tanks and fish the last couple months so my husband would freak. I am glued to my tank watching it.. Help...

Last edited:

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
it is almost dead now.. found it at the bottom of the tank face down.. I took it out in case something is is sick and did not want to get the other sick. It is in the tank with my shrimp for now. I am in tears, I loved this fish.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
:( im so sorry for you loss!.

Im not sure what it could be...i had angels a few years back and they were awesome losing a fish is hard enough let alone to unknown reasons,

I would keep a close eye on the rest of the fish..you have not had them long so it could be something to with the conditions they were kept in at the store..or shipping these poor fish are not always kept or handled properly before we get them home.

do you have a test kit? if so can you give the readings from it?

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
It is barely hanging on.. on the bottom hardly breathing.. Weird because it was great all week. This one was the only one that was in a different tank when I got the other 3 from. It was up front with all the discuss and eals.
I have had this tank for 2 months, ( angles for a week) and this is my first fish loss, expect for a neon that got stuck in the filter..

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
Well I lost him/her.. I am so upset . I am really new to fish keeping. Only been doing this couple months. Like I said, this is my first fish loss between my 60 and 40 gl tanks. Up until now, I thought I was doing great.Should I buy anything to add to the tank to adjust these numbers below or are they okay?

Nitrate is 40
Nitrite is 0
Chlorine 0
Alkaline 80
Ph 7.2

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
Nitrates are a bit high. I try to keep mine at or under 20. I lost my angel about a month ago as well for unknown reasons. I did a water change and lost my angel and my male krib (out of a breading pair) rest of my fish were fine:( I just replaced the angel today with a new adult a friend gave me. Here are pictures of my old half black angel and my new silver pearlscale. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332034931.151791.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332034951.076326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332034931.151791.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332034951.076326.jpg

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
Chris those are beautiful.. What should I do to lower the Nitrates? Also it showed my water hardness is really hard. Should I make it softer, and how?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sorry for your loss. It is always hard no longer how long you have been keeping fish. I don't think you did anything wrong. You have no idea what the fish had been through before it came to your tank. Even at the best LFS, the conditions are not ideal and can be quite stressful.
I think your water parameters are fine. 40 Nitrates are kind of upper end of what I like, but ok for most fish. Even my discus tolerate that without much issue. The best way to get rid of nitrates is a water change. Your bacteria are doing what they are supposed to do....breaking down the nasties into nitrate.

I wouldn't mess around with your water....it becomes difficult to maintain. Most fish are fine with whatever comes out of your tap. Are the rest of your fish still looking ok?

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
+1 on the water change. I do about 50% a week on each of my tanks but that's just because I like to overstock a bit;) the other thing you could do to lower nitrates is add some live plants (if you haven't already) I find java moss to be amazing at soaking up nitrates. I keep some in all of my tanks.

Also I found a picture of my old angel the day I brought her home from Petsmart 2 years ago. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332040715.646792.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332040715.646792.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store