Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: new salt setup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    10-18-2013 1:35 AM
    Posts
    13

    new salt setup

    hey guys im new to AC i have a MFK account but it seems like there are more saltwater people over here but anyways i just got my first saltwater tank setup a few days ago and figured i would post some pictures up im cycling the tank right now with the green chromis and after my tank is cycled i will be giving them to a friend but yeah i also have one question i really want a CUC but im not sure if i can have anything like that in the tank while it is cycling if there are any if you could let me know that would be great. also im getting more live rock next week sometime just so you know haha if you guys want more pictures or have any questions then just ask let me know what you guys think thanks












  2. #2
    Senior Member cpetrosky's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Chris Petrosky
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mooresville NC
    Last Activity
    09-30-2013 5:02 PM
    Posts
    434
    Welcome there's not too many salty guys on this site but I'm one of them

    I would wait on the CUC till a few days (at least) after you get the rest of your rock. Then try adding a hermit or two and see how it goes. The secret to salt is patience! Don't rush anything and you will do fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    Quote Originally Posted by XanAvaloni View Post
    (scurries in undignified rush to seize the place in line behind cpet.)



  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    10-18-2013 1:35 AM
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by cpetrosky View Post
    Welcome there's not too many salty guys on this site but I'm one of them

    I would wait on the CUC till a few days (at least) after you get the rest of your rock. Then try adding a hermit or two and see how it goes. The secret to salt is patience! Don't rush anything and you will do fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    Okay so ill wait until I get the rest of my rock then get some hermits any other cuc I can get and yeah I'm loving it already I've always been a freshwater guy but got this tank for free so figured what the hell I think I want to go with a reef tank once I get the tank all cycled and established but who knows I might change my mind but I love reef tanks I just need different lights I think

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App



  4. #4
    Junior Member Sanchezkk's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kenneth Sanchez
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Columbus, IN USA
    Last Activity
    05-26-2013 2:19 AM
    Posts
    11
    So I can add a cuc after how long? I I've been cycling since February 24th.

    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App



  5. #5
    Moderator greech's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 8:42 PM
    Posts
    4,153
    Granted hermits and snails are cheap but neither can tolerate any ammonia or elevated nitrites. Really high nitrates can kill them as well. You can't judge a cycled tank based on time alone, just too many factors at play. The only way to know is to test your water for ammonia, trites and trates. Not flaming you but those chromis are unnecessarily suffering by using them to cycle. A peeled table shrimp from your grocery store would have done the same thing. Heck sometimes the shrimp isn't even needed if the live rock you buy has enough die off on it. Ammonia is toxic and it burns gills.
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

    "You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire



  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    10-18-2013 1:35 AM
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by greech View Post
    Granted hermits and snails are cheap but neither can tolerate any ammonia or elevated nitrites. Really high nitrates can kill them as well. You can't judge a cycled tank based on time alone, just too many factors at play. The only way to know is to test your water for ammonia, trites and trates. Not flaming you but those chromis are unnecessarily suffering by using them to cycle. A peeled table shrimp from your grocery store would have done the same thing. Heck sometimes the shrimp isn't even needed if the live rock you buy has enough die off on it. Ammonia is toxic and it burns gills.
    Yeah I understand where you are coming from I did a test today and read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates what does this mean?

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App



  7. #7
    Moderator greech's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 8:42 PM
    Posts
    4,153
    You'll need more than one test to confirm where you are in the cycle but those numbers, along with the fact that your tank was just setup a few days ago, would suggest you either bought pre-cured rock or things are just getting started. I would defer to the later until you get multiple tests to compare. Your rock is fairly white suggesting it isn't fully cured but will admit color alone shouldn't be the basis for judging a rock's status. Where did you get the rock from? Looks like nice rock. Welcome to AC and the salty side BTW!!!!
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

    "You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire



  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Activity
    10-18-2013 1:35 AM
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by greech View Post
    You'll need more than one test to confirm where you are in the cycle but those numbers, along with the fact that your tank was just setup a few days ago, would suggest you either bought pre-cured rock or things are just getting started. I would defer to the later until you get multiple tests to compare. Your rock is fairly white suggesting it isn't fully cured but will admit color alone shouldn't be the basis for judging a rock's status. Where did you get the rock from? Looks like nice rock. Welcome to AC and the salty side BTW!!!!
    Okay yeah I'm not going to base it all off that one test I will keep testing for a while and I got it from a lfs for 30 bucks I'm gunna go back after the 1st and get 30 more dollars worth and yeah I am really liking the salty side I found a feather duster yesterday in the rock I'm pretty happy about that and I'm seeing more and more purple growth on the rock everyday I can't wait until I get my clean up crew and other fish and eventually I would like to get better lighting and keep some corals I will definitely come here for advice thanks

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My 10 gal. Salt setup
    By hmotorsol in forum General Marine / Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
  2. New Salt Tank Setup
    By Kat17 in forum Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 1:00 AM
  3. My 125 Salt Setup
    By KenyanSandBoa in forum Photo Gallery
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 6:11 AM
  4. 29G salt tank setup
    By fishman1979 in forum General Marine / Newbie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 3:44 PM
  5. How does this sound for a salt setup?
    By Mr.Jingles in forum General Marine / Newbie
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •