How to catch a rubber lip pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
So, after a good hour or so wasted trying to get my 2" rubber lip pleco into a net, I've given up all hope. How do you guys catch plecos like this? There isn't very many decorations or plants in the tank, its a 55g with sand substrate, and the only other occupants are a few weather loaches. Any ideas on how to catch him?

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
If you still have not caught it you can use a "shrimp trap" made from a water bottle with its top cut off and inverted. I was trying to catch a rogue shrimp in my tank but instead caught 2 plecos and a cherry barb lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
My pleco's always have a spot on the driftwood they call home. They hide there and stay there when the lights are on. So I grab the whole stick slowly and lift it, then I put the let below the stick and when the pleco freaks out because stick is moving he drops and lands in the net. Works pretty well, unless he somehow gets away then your screwed because he will probably find a new hiding spot and will be smarter second time around.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
I'm with bradlgt21, I just wait until they are on some driftwood or other decor, and put the net directly below them, then slowly start to pull the wood/decor out, and eventually the jump off or will swim down, you have to be careful though, cause sometimes they just stay on there even when it's out of the water. It's happened twice, I am very cautious to do a fish count when removing anything like that from the water. :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I bought some zuch today, will try to catch him with that tommorow. If that fails then I'll move onto a trap, if that fails then I will be pleco shopping. I'm nervous about moving the decoration (some smaller rocks, and 1 giant piece of fake wood) because it might mess up my anubias that just started to really attach themselves to it, and because trying to not crush my loaches with it will make it a PITA.

Thanks for the responses guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store