Looking to setup 10 gallon to breed either tangs or cockatoos, want to see your setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Looking for pictures and descriptions of others people setups that hold or breed these fish. Or if you know any other good suggestions to breed in a ten gallon let me know. Just want to see how other people set theres up.

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
I breed Julidochromis transcriptus, ornatus and dickfeldi in 10G tanks. I have white playsand in each of them as a substrate. I have them filtered with oversized Hydrosponges. What really sets up breeding for me are small clay flowerpots. I flip them upside down in the tank after I punch either holes in the side or top(actual bottom) with a drill and concrete bit then knock the holes out a bit bigger with a handle of a screw driver. Size depends upon size of fish. The dickfeldi have a little larger holes than the ornatus and transcriptus. I have at least a little java moss in every tank also. Hope this helps.

Nyasa

AC Members
Feb 22, 2002
Calgary, AB
Tangs or cockatoos, eh?
These fish require entirely different water parameters to breed. I would do some testing on the water from your tap to see how hard it is and what the pH is. If it is hard and alkali, go for the tangs. If it is softer and acidic, then you could do cockatoos or tangs if you want to supplement your water with baking soda and epsom salts. The less you have to modify your water, the more stable the parameters will be, and the happier your fish will be. And happy fish make more happy fish. HTH.

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
that is totally right, but i'm not a newbie, I use RO filter to filter for soft water fish. My tap water is perfect out of the tap for africans. Just wanted to see what other people have done to get an idea of what would be nicer, and less work.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Any of the shellies would work great in the 10 gallon. I have kept many. Some argonite sand or fine gravel a bunch of shells and add fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store