Tank cleaning fish for betta fry.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which do you think is the best option for my tank of betta fry?

• Total voters

andyxxatomic

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2012
Hi everyone :),
in a few weeks or so, I plan on breeding my bettas. I am looking for a fish that would be best to put with the fry to aid me in keeping the tank clean. Originally, my plan was to use an apple snail. After much research, I discovered that they breed like crazy. I'm already going to have a ton of betta fry to look after, the last thing I need is a never ending snail population. I moved on to plecos, apparently they are messy and some people believed that they would harm the fry. Supposedly they poop a lot...and ultimately hurt more than they help. Then I started looking at ottos hoping I would get a better review. From what I read, they need it bit more of a current whereas the betta prefer their water to be a bit on the calmer side. They also seem to prefer a cooler temperature whereas my fry need to be kept in warmer conditions. Finally i looked at corys. They apparently need to be in very large groups, are sensitive and don't clean quite as well. So far, they seem to be my only somewhat reasonable option. I don't know how many I can house but I don't want them to be miserable either. I also want to be sure that they wont get seriously picked on. My tank is a 20 gallon long breeder (which is why i cant house too many...) and the fry will be getting live food. Also, do the catfish (all of the above) need to receive their own particular food as well? Supposedly Cory's are air breathers too so Im assuming they could reach the surface rather than using sinking food...? I also added a poll for funn or people who prefer not to post ;)

Last edited:

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
With Betta fry that is such a temporary problem. I'd rely on bare bottom with daily water changes. If they grow well you'll need to start separating them in a month or two anyway.. What do you intend to use when the males start to develop?? I used quart mason jars using duplicate sets . rotating the fish . There must be a better way!!! lol
gary

andyxxatomic

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2012
You definitely have a point Gary. I'm planning on doing a bare bottom. I'm just a little worried about the excess food. I'd also probably like to get an algae eater for the females not just fry... Thats another reason why i asked :). For the males I'm planning on making a housing from a clear rubbermaid with dividers and filtration. (or an extra tank...) If its a success I'll let you know haha. I'm thinking about plexiglass, preferably tinted I'll find a way lol. Mason jars are my alternate plan.
What have you personally used in the past to feed your fry?

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I agree with the water change method, you can suction out any leftover food using airline hosing so you don't catch the fry. otos need to be in a well established tank so they don't starve, that would leave you with cories. But your best bet is water change good for the fry too.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Would prefer to feed baby brine shrimp but most are too small so micro worms a second choice. Some will require infusoria. Usually you will get around 200 but can be 500. So lots of mouths lol. Many breeders recommend 50/80 percent changes per day But I always started with 3/4 inches of water in the tank filling it up to 10 in about a week
Then reverted to about 50 percent every other day . When separated changed 100 percent every other day
You will still get a lot of stunted young even with this regimen IME. Be sure to keep the tank covered and warm.,particularly as the labyrinth starts to develop.
The mason jar method has many drawbacks not the least of which it's only a quart of water. Ever try to find 50/100 gallon size??? lol . Once saw a system that used the plexiglass "beanie baby " boxes with a central overflow system.
Have been unable to locate them for under 3 bucks each Good luck with whatever you decide. gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store