getting multis out of there shells?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
whats a good way to seporate a shelldweller from its shell? i have a 20 long with neolamprologus multifasciatus and my colony has platoed out. i want to sell some of my juvis but whenever i put a net in they all hide inside there shells. any ideas?

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I used to do that but u had someone from Craigslist accusing me of selling empty shells and wouldn't buy them. There has to be some trick to this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
There is, what you will have to do is find some type of container that is big enough and tall enough usually one of those plastic large soup containers you get from a Chinese restaurant, place a piece of egg crate on top of the container, place the shell on the egg crate and when the fish swim out of the shell they will go to the bottom of the tank near the substrate, this could take a while but they will not be able to go back into a shell, i have used this method and it works..

If you do not know what egg crate is google the term its basically light diffuser and is available at home depot pretty cheap and you can cut a section to fit your needs..

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
could you just pick up the shell with the juvie (or adult) in it and pour out the water with the fish in it into a container. Or would the fish stay lodged in the shell without water in it? Wouldn't it be flushed out this way? I'm curious as to know since I'll probably have to fish my multies out sometime in the near future. Thanks.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No the fish will stay inside the shell, they wedge themselves in there when they feel threatened, the only true way of getting them out is to rise the shell way above the substrate, this fish is a shell substrate fish hence they do not venture into the water column to much and when they feel unsafe they retreat to their shells near or under the substrate this is why this method works..

If the method with the egg crate is put into motion what should happen is that the fish will come out of the shell and see the substrate through the egg crate and will be like oh crap retreat to the substrate just make sure there are no other shells for them to retreat to, so depending on how many shells you have you will need to place them all high enough in the tank for this to work.

Good luck, I have a colony of them in a 120gal tank and well i will probably never bother mine..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store