Firemouths + Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BanalityBob

AC Members
Oct 28, 2010
I have a 30 gallon breeder set up that is cycling currently. I was wondering if it would be large enough for a pair of Firemouths. I'd like to put a smaller pleco (Bulldog, Bristlenose, or Rubber Lip) in with them, and I'd like a school of 8-10 of something like Danios or Scissor Tail Rainbows if it would work with the Firemouths. I'm not really experienced with cichlids in general, so I was wondering if that would work?

If not, could you suggest a schooling fish that would work in that size tank (36" long x 18" wide x 12" tall) with a pair of Firemouths?

Thanks.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
30 gallons for 2 firemouth and several small fish I think will be okay. You will need to stay up on water changing with the pleco also being in there.

Evo2372

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2011
I agree with above post, no more than 2 FM's and you would definitely need to keep up the water changes.
Fm's are very susceptible to "Hole in the head" from high nitrate level... in other words not enough or reg water changes.
They are awesome fish and have kept them for years. They act aggressive but rarely cause damage to any fish. A lot of flaring and posturing and if you play your cards right they will breed and you will witness some great fish parenting.
Maybe invest in a bigger tank, 40gallons/150 liters at minimum.
Good luck

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
actually FM are not really susceptile to HITH, it can happen.. but with my years of raising them, never has happened to me, nor any of my friends that have had them... anyways, iwould do a pair of FM (great choice btw) 8 tiger barbs and 1 pleco * BN would be better *

Evo2372

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2011
LBF, thats probably because you and your mates keep the water clean and fresh... just a guess.
Sadly I have seen it happen when water quality was poor.
Nitrate 100ppm.
But yeah, great fish, great to watch them grow from 20-25mm to adult. Really nice colors etc.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
nitrate of 100PPM of well then you are going to see some bad things.. but its not common for FM to get HITH really... can happen but not very much... they can handle many ranges of water condition ( hardy cichlids, like convicts )

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
if i were doing this, i would buy 5-7 fire mouths, i would then wait and let them pair up. once i picked the best looking pair, i would take the others back to the store. give the pair some time (2 weeks), then if you want to add more fish to the tank you can, just make sure you do this slowly, by adding only say 6 fish at one time. If you are looking to breed the fire mouths, Ive noticed they like to breed on really flat rock like, slate rock, and in planted or covered areas around driftwood. They will benefit off a lower Ph around 6.4-6.8 I like fire mouth's, you will love them no matter what way you decide to do it. Good luck and have fun.

Ben

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store