Convict and Salvini?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reckerblue

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Real Name
Patrick Recker
Recently added a female salvini into my 75 gallon community tank.Have 2 convicts (male) and an oscar.The convict and salvini have dug a trench in the sand around a piece of driftwood. I looked closely the other day and noticed eggs!Never have seen this nor thought possible.Curious if anyone else has dealt with this before.If so any pics of what the cross looks like?Also, would anyone be interested in having some of these fish?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I have no interest in hybrids or cross breeds.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I have no interest in hybrids or cross breeds.
ahaha...ok that is nice...so why post here than?..

OP: that is awesome there has been lots of debate on this forum and MFK if its possible!!!! keep us updated I would love to see them hatch and how they turn out.

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
ditto, I'd love to see what they look like. just if you sell or give away let ppl know what they are getting. smitty can shut his pointless pie hole. it seems like almost anything can breed w/ a convict!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
convicts will breed with anything that will breed with them. salvini, and convicts and pretty close related. i have seen salvinis breed with fire mouths before, they fry were awesome looking

Chrisplosion

AC Members
Apr 11, 2012
Any Central American Cichlid can hybrid with another. The Convict end of it had been done to death but I have seen a couple nice Salvini hybrids.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
You will get strong opinions for and against hybrids. The only thing any good fish keeper will make sure of is to inform anyone getting the babies is that they aree hybrid. Many hybrid fish are more aggressive than their pure line counterparts as well as many fish keepers try to keep a species pure. So it is only fair to make sure they know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store