Dying Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
Okay.

My alkalinity, PH, and salinity are all at good levels according to my color tests.

I've had a Fire shrimp die over night a few weeks ago.

Now a peppermint shrimp just keeled over, and is lying sideways. Apparently dying.

In the tank is a Clownfish, Gold Coral Banded Shrimp, Arrow Crab, 1 dying Peppermint, 1 live peppermint, 1 porcelain crab, 1 firefish, some hermits, snails, ALOT of LR which has some small jellyfish maturing.

I don't have a phosphate test kit. It looks like the peppermint have been scratching their skin lately. The tank has gone through a small nitrate spike in the last month, as well as a alkalinity spike, and a low PH. As of now everything is fine that I can test.

I used to feed the tank 2-3 times a day. I stopped feeding the tank 4 days ago, and now feed the tank 1nce a day.

dying shrimp.jpg

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Mak,
I get a water test done by my LFS a lot of times the color strip tests aren't real accurate. I most certainly would remove the dead shrimp because it will add to your problem if it's a water quality issue. Lots of inverts are really sensitive to nitrates and nitrites and I really would encourage you to get a second opinion. Also your substrate looks like it's pretty large and that may be a large part of your nitrate problem.
hth
Chris

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
yeah

when I swirl the bottom around alot of particles and brownish stuff comes up into the water.

I have about 2-3 inches of sand with 1/3 - 1/4 of an inch crushed coral and gravel on top.

i hate aquariums right now. i just removed the shrimp and had all my LR fall down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store