Ants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
TheSearch.png
I saw this on the internet, and it made me lol, then it made me think a little.

Here is what I thought (and thinking is dangerous for me):

First) What if we are really being contacted by aliens but simply don't realize that they are talking to us because we have such a massive difference in the manner of our communications? For example, they could be using something like the flavor of our food to talk to us, but we just don't communicate like that they are all so confused as to why we aren't replying.

Second) They could be so advanced they just don't care to talk to us. Would you try talking to an ant? Would you expect the ant to reply?

Third) Would the ants even be able to reply to the gods (so to speak)? AKA, even if we did manage to hear them, would we be able to reply in a way that both sides could understand, or would their ability to think be so much better then ours that communication is impossible?

I wanna know what you think ABOUT THE TOPIC I'VE POSTED ON THE ASSUMTION ALIENS DO EXIST please. Don't flame people (myself included) and don't just rant that aliens aren't real. This is under the assumption aliens are real and that we want to talk to them. Within that, what do you think?

TheSearch.png

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It is one of those concepts that has gotten a lot of play in sci-fi literature, to the point it is almost cliche.

In the Starfire series they introduced the Arachnids as effectively pure evil. Aliens that eat anything living and can only communicate with each other so negotiation and co-existance was impossible.
The Xeelee Saga by Stephen Baxter had two species like that. The Photino Birds that were looked at the universe so differently that communications were impossible, and the Xeelee who were so intent on escaping the destruction the Photino Birds were causing to the galaxy that they couldn't be bothered to deal with "lesser species".
The Revelation Space Series by Alastair Reynolds had a group of machines that were so intent on their work to alter the galaxy that they'd actively exterminate any sentient species as a threat to their efforts.

But yeah, the whole concept gets even more tricky when you get into the idea of non-carbon-based lifeforms. Or lifeforms that may not exist in exactly the same way we do within the universe.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Aliens exist, but I am not one.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Aliens are out there and they spell assumption with a "P"...Sorry I couldn't resist. I am not so naive as to believe we are the only intelligent creatures ANYWHERE, and that is if you consider humans intelligent. However I do not believe that they experiment on humans, after all if they are able to master space travel then what do they need puny humans for and if they do come to take over well there is nothing we can do.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Travis, think of all the time you've wasted if you don't become a writer of fiction.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
It is one of those concepts that has gotten a lot of play in sci-fi literature, to the point it is almost cliche.

In the Starfire series they introduced the Arachnids as effectively pure evil. Aliens that eat anything living and can only communicate with each other so negotiation and co-existance was impossible.
The Xeelee Saga by Stephen Baxter had two species like that. The Photino Birds that were looked at the universe so differently that communications were impossible, and the Xeelee who were so intent on escaping the destruction the Photino Birds were causing to the galaxy that they couldn't be bothered to deal with "lesser species".
The Revelation Space Series by Alastair Reynolds had a group of machines that were so intent on their work to alter the galaxy that they'd actively exterminate any sentient species as a threat to their efforts.

But yeah, the whole concept gets even more tricky when you get into the idea of non-carbon-based lifeforms. Or lifeforms that may not exist in exactly the same way we do within the universe.
I was thinking more in the manner of the Photino Birds then the Xeelee, Arachnids, or entities that choose not to communicate with humans. The Photino Birds tried to communicate with the universe, but since they were absolutely different from us they didn't have the capacity to communicate.

Don't even get me started on non-biological and non-carbon based life lol. I've already created several such species on other sites, including a species (two actually) of star life that cannot conceive of life being able to exist on something so bitter cold as an earth (or even mercury) style planet.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Aliens exist, but I am not one.
Or are you? :D
Aliens are out there and they spell assumption with a "P"...Sorry I couldn't resist. I am not so naive as to believe we are the only intelligent creatures ANYWHERE, and that is if you consider humans intelligent. However I do not believe that they experiment on humans, after all if they are able to master space travel then what do they need puny humans for and if they do come to take over well there is nothing we can do.
I personally wasn't thinking along the lines of why they would want to communicate with us... more so on the assumption they did for whatever reasons they have, what if their form of communication and our form of communication was so different as to make communication impossible. Like if a tree was trying to contact us using photons hitting our skin because that's how they communicate but we can't even tell that they're trying (assuming trees can talk, which I don't personally believe).
"Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Sorry, I couldn't resist either...
Sorry, but I have no idea where that came from...

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Travis, think of all the time you've wasted if you don't become a writer of fiction.
Union of Mecholife, check it out. - http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Fiction:Union_of_Mecholife
Collective intelligence made up of all mecholife - http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Fiction:Mechi
Species made out of composite materials - http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Creature:Omega
Star Life - http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Fiction:Astrolights , http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Fiction:Electromagnetic_Gods

though I have left the star-life behind for a while, it needs some revamping. Check out my other stuff on that site, I have a nice books worth of stuff there. Collectively, the people of Sporewiki are definitely better at thinking about these things then you (people of Aquaria Central) are, by virtue of being younger and thus open to ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store