late night disaster

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I woke up this morning to find my 7.5 gallon shrimp tank all over my floor. I am not really sure how the tank leaked onto the floor. I refilled the tank and it does not appear to be any cracks or anything like that.. so I am dumbfounded on this issue. either way, a near empty tank is not a great way to start the day. some of my small shrimp made it in the inch of water that did not drain.
up until this I had been noticing a strange even going on in my shrimp tank as well. I noticed that all my adult females died off, and only 1 adult male and about 20 youngins were left. all the young shrimp look like the male, without the deep full body red. someone said they may still be too young to show sex signs, but its been 2 or 3 weeks from the hatch, shouldnt they be showing some coloring out?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Are you running a HOB filter? it is possible it backed up and overflowed onto the floor. I had it happen to me with a 40 gallon... drained like 30/40 gallons out of it. Is this by chance a marineland eclipse system>

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
You have my sympathy. That is not a good way to start the day. My thoughts on this - Since you were left with an inch of water, I would think your leak is above that level. Could it have been a filter malfunction? What kind of filter are you running? Is there anything in the tank sticking out that could have 'wicked' the water out? Kids, pets, roommates? I forget how long it takes them to color up. It could be that they have the genetics of the male expressing. Also tank conditions ph, temperature, diet, etc. can affect their color.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
I agree with the other members of possible filter malfuction. Did power go out last night too? Usually adult females are the first to go due to an unstable enviroment. Happened many times with me. 2 -3 weeks of hatch is stilll way too young. You most likely have females within that bunch though.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Are you running a air stone or air operated ornaments ? sounds like a siphoning problem, if a air pump is below the tank and it stops good chance all your water well be on the floor unless you fitted a check valve

My fire reds color up almost right away, one week old and super red

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
im not seeing any that look to be coloring out like females right now. I run a small sponge filter in the tank. its not an eclipse system, I built this tank myself. I filled it up, it doesnt leak. I resolved that my sponge filter was wicking it down the airline and to the floor off the drip loop. I changed how the airline ran, it now runs vertically out of the water rather then lazily over the edge. there are about 15 Juvenal that survived, the only adult remaining in the tank did not make it through the whole ordeal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store