Breeding Dempseys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I have 2 standard jacks, 2 gold, and 2 ebjds that I'd like to breed. I'd also like to keep the fish instead of returning them to a store when I get a pair. What would be the optimum setup? One huge tank or two decent size tanks?

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
I would get one HUGE SETUP! Possibly a 150 for this whole shabang! Lol but if you have more than one pair which you probably do you will get some really aggressive fish! So a large tank would be needed. I would go with a 150 and that should work. A pair of jds can live ALONE in a 75. Good luck!

-Andrew

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
If you want to breed all 6 then you're best off going with 3 40breeders or 55g's IMO. (Not an expert, but to get the same footprints as the 3 smaller tanks, the single larger tank would have to be at least 9 feet long, which is rather expensive) A 125g divided could work for 2 pairs of Jacks, and then a third pair could go into a 40/55. Personally I wouldn't keep a pair of JD's in a 40breeder, but a couple places online say it's acceptable. (Not really optimal though). You could do 2 125 gallons, divide both tanks so that you esssentially have 4 3'X2' compartments, 3 compartments for the parents, and 1 could be split up further for fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store