Bloated AND ick.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LissieP

AC Members
Mar 23, 2012
Help!
So, My boyfriend and I are new to the fishy world however we felt as though we were doing pretty well considering it's been about a month or so since we began our little tank.
We have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with 6 tropical fish - 2 angels, 2 gourami, 1 ghostknife and 1 albino pleco. (biowheel filter, 2 live plants, a medium-size castle ornament, and a med pirate ship ornament plus about 4 fake plants.)

Everything seemed okay until we noticed white spots on our one angel (Yea, we know it's ick) which has since spread to all of our fish except the pleco and ghostknife. (lightly spread i must add, there are some very few spots on the other fish. Only one has been affected more so)
We've only found out about it yesterday and will be picking up medication for it tomorrow. (quickcure?)

What I'm really worried about is the bloating in the two of our angelfish. Our tiger angel has Ick the worst (and has sat in the bubbles throughout the last hour, which is why I cannot get any photos of him), but isn't as bloated as our other angel. Our one angel (which I have posted images of) is heavily bloated by the looks of things and this has just started within the last few days.
we've been cruising the net and we've seen horrible effects of both bloating and pop eye, and now we're noticing things we're not sure is even there or not.

*note: We recently put in our Gourami's and the ghostknife, they've been there for about 2 weeks. We've noticed that one of our Gourami had a white-ish small line that almost looks as though he's scraped it against something or another fish nipped at him and it's dead flesh, however we could be wrong. Will post a photo of this if any one thinks it could be something more serious. He may have been this way from the pet store, even...*

DSC_3518.jpgDSC_3520.jpg

You can clearly tell his lower abdomen is obviously protruding quite a bit.

The weird thing is, both of them that have this are swimming around normally (Except for the tiger, which has recently {last 45 minutes} been staying in the bubbles which i'm sure is to help ease it's discomfort) and they are very enthusiastic when it comes to their food. We've been feeding nutrafin max tropical fish flakes and frozen blood worms 2 times a day. They're pooping a deep orange color, and rather thick - not thin and a tan color <--- this is how they were pooping when we got them, and up until now.

We have been doing a 30-50% water change today and yesterday and will continue. But have done little in terms of water changes since we started the tank.

We're going to try fasting for a day and see if it lessens up. I've heard of the use of aquarium or epsom salts... But will that mess up our pH levels? And will that be okay with the pleco and ghostknife?
Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, as we're getting so many mixed messages from different sources online.

Our pH is 7.6 and the temp sits at approx 75-77 degrees Fahrenheit.
We'll be getting tests to read nitrate and ammonia soon.
We use stablility for adding new fish and water conditioner for water changes.

I cannot stress how much we're hoping for some good news. My boyfriend had 2 goldfish for a year and ever since they died a few months ago, he's been wanting more fish. We're broke college students who just wanted a little something to watch and enjoy around the house so we pooled together the money we had to spend on some awesome little companions. I've had animals since I was young and generally pride myself on them always being in the best of health, but have just not had the best of luck with fish at this point!

DSC_3518.jpg DSC_3520.jpg

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi LissieP

The tank may not be cycled yet and could have ammonia and/or nitrite, both of which are toxic. Probably some aggression between tankmates as well.

Since the angels don't seem to be constipated, it may be a bacterial infection in their gut. If so, it's difficult to treat, but epsom salts predissolved @ 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons can help relieve the swelling and won't alter your pH. It's safe for anything in the tank.

Ich can also be cured with regular salt and higher heat, which is less harsh than medication with formalin and malachite green, although I'm not sure how the pleco and ghostknife would react to either methods.

The white streak or scratch may well be from fighting, and should heal up with clean water. Not sure about these particular tankmates in that size tank, and they will become more aggressive with age.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I'd be trying some sort of Metronidazole/Praziquantel medication if it hasn't been done yet, just to clear the slate of parasites, and then you're going to probably need a bigger tank. I know that people are always getting harped on for tank size and I'm sorry but, both your angels and gouramis are very argumentative species, I've got my angels in a 50b and they really use every inch of the space to sort out and resolve their arguments, and its very heavily planted. That means that when the male wants to bully the female about food there is room for her to cross the tank and sit behind a plant where she can feed without the male even looking at her. Or around breeding time when she gets unbelievably mean to the male (especially after a failed clutch) she'll haul around the tank and just wail on him until he finds a hiding place, some of which can be very creative. I've also got a couple of ghost knives, which reach adult sizes of 12"-15" conservatively and although they are very gentle and sweet they can get bulky, very curious and very nibbley meaning that the other fish need to be able to high tail it into caves and plants to stay safe, he doesn't pursue, but if they weren't able to more or less evaporate out of thin...water...there would be allot more trouble. Because of this I'm actually moving my South American community to a 125gallon next month to provide the additional space they need. Now, assuming your fish are still juvie then you probably don't need to go racing to the store, but within the next 3 to 4 months you'll certainly want to be upgrading yourself to at least a 40b, probably something a little bigger though. Now, with finances just look for a $ per gallon sale and pick up a plain glass box, put your decor and filters etc. on it (maybe need a bigger heater) and then upgrade them as funds become available. Remember You'd rather have a 40g with too little filtration and enough room for your fish than a 20g with just the perfect filter and crowded fish. What I'm saying is that your probably don't need a full new system off the top, don't go buy yourself a $100 canister filter to filter the thing until you can afford it, but don't keep your fish in a small tank if you can afford the $40 upgrade to a larger tank but not the filtration etc. guys? am i right?

Other things I caught on the re-read:
- I'd reduce feedings (what foods are they eating)
- give them some boiled and skinned peas once a day (and nothing else) for the next 2-3 days to help with the bloat itself
- keep up on the daily water changes, except with the medication you don't want to WC the meds back out of the tank so....well that's tricky.
-bring up your temp to at least 84+ degrees to shorten the life cycle of your ich parasites
- You should probably look into some real driftwood for your pleco. Many of them love the films that grow on wood and the wood itself.

I'm sure I'm missing about a million things but that's why there are lots of different people to answer your questions...so you don't have to trust my dumb butt and miss all the things I missed :D

Samsmobb

AC Members
Feb 1, 2012
Gaithersburg Maryland
Stop feeding bloodworms, they will eat n bloat up like that n die if swelling is too severe!
Feed flakes or pellets only til they are a bit older and try peas like mentioned above to clear digestive tract a little.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
that is a picture of what I would consider a very young angel.

young angels will eat till they bloat..which is SOP for angels..but at this age ..several small feedings per day.. up the temp and keep an eye on the parameters..how is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate...???

you should really consider a grow out tank feeding young angels.but whn all is said and done.. several small feedings per day anddaiy water changes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store