Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I wouldn't. Ghost shrimp get big for a shrimp and they have pincers that could pick off some of your other shrimp. Why not do cherries and something like tiger shrimp together? They will both breed in freshwater (ghosts only breed In salt) and look more attractive IMO. I keep a 20 tall with cherries and orange eye blue tiger shrimp and it looks really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
I currently have ghost shrimp in the tank I am going to use for cherry shrimp as soon as the ones my daughter is breeding have their babies and get big enough to transfer. I will just move them to my big tank before then. I only got them to fill the space till I could get the cherries.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
Well I will be getting my cherry shrimp tonight. My daughter found someone that is local who is selling them for a 1.00 a piece. Do not know how many she is getting. So I transferd my ghost shrimp to the big tank. So far my two biggest fish which is a drawf gourmi and a appisto, do not seem to be interested in them. The two fish that would love to snack on them are in a breeding box that would be my killi fish, as the male ate one of my small neon tetras the other day. So I isolated them till the neons get a little bigger as he does not seem to bother the bigger ones. Can not wait to get little cherry shrimps.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I wouldn't. Ghost shrimp get big for a shrimp and they have pincers that could pick off some of your other shrimp. Why not do cherries and something like tiger shrimp together? They will both breed in freshwater (ghosts only breed In salt) and look more attractive IMO. I keep a 20 tall with cherries and orange eye blue tiger shrimp and it looks really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Let me take a second to clear up a misconception I see in this post. Ghost are able to breed in freshwater; however, since they are a low order breeder their larvae need salinity in order to mature. I have read of people having larvae hatch in tanks but they will not survive.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
thank you for the correction. i was just trying to simplify it a little.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
I did not plan on breeding the ghost shrimp anyway. Just like the looks of them in a tank. I do plan on breeding the cherry shrimp though. We have a lfs here that said he would purchase the extras we get. When I have enough I plan on adding them to my heavly planted community tank.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
It really depends on the species of ghost shrimp also. There are dozens of species of shrimp that get labeled as ghost/glass shrimp, some of them don't have the hardware to even hurt another shrimp, and some do, so it's hard to lump them all together and be accurate. I keep some ghost/glass shrimp in with my RCS and they don't bother each other at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store