Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Julie
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 11:31 PM

Not a fish newbie... but a newbie with my HUGE tank....

Hi everyone! My husband and I acquired a 240 gallon fishtank from a friend of a friend etc, and it is finally built into his mancave wall and is ready for equipment! The only problem is, the biggest fishtank I have ever had is a 55gallon. This is a bit more intimidating right now My question for you all is, what is the best type of equipment to filter a tank this size? I have only ever used hanging filters and don't know how practical those are for a tank this size. I have heard mixed reviews about undergravel filters but know several people that use those with an additional hanging filter with some luck. The tank is going to either be a cichlid tank or filled with lots of schooling freshwater fish (still trying to make up my mind) but either way it will be freshwater. If anyone could shed some light on the equipment best for this tank, I'd be very appreciative! Like the title says, I'm not a newbie at taking care of fish, but I am a newbie with a tank of this size. Thank you all for your input!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Greg
    Last Activity
    07-31-2014 5:01 PM
    For a larger tank like yours people usually choose a canister filter. They have an intake and output hose that go in the tank and a unit that you can place underneath. Some people also choose to use a sump type filtration but thats a bit more complicated.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason the possibility of life is destroyed" - Leo Tolstoy/Christopher McCandless
    "Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin" - Grace Hansen

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-06-2012 8:12 AM
    Yea under gravel filters are a no no IMO. I would say if you could look up sumps they would be your best bet if not I always prefer hob units

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-15-2014 12:08 PM
    Is your tank drilled with overflows? Or just rectangular tank with no holes drilled?

The glistening drop.... Rbishop's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Mr. Normal
    Last Activity
    Today 2:38 AM
    Canisters or a sump...even some pool filters would work....
    Bob

Our baggage helped define who we are. How we carry it determines our direction in life.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Risigan Logendran
    Last Activity
    07-20-2014 2:05 PM
    I would say canister filters. Although pricey, something like 2 Fluval fx5 will be plenty of filtration for a 240 gallon.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Julie
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 11:31 PM
    The tank was drilled, but the previous owner plugged the holes so we were planning on using something else besides a sump so that we don't have to mess with their plugs. Is Fluval the best as far as canister filters go?

The glistening drop.... Rbishop's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Mr. Normal
    Last Activity
    Today 2:38 AM
    Pretty sure what is "best" as a canister filter will very widely vary....just like the advice on carbon/charcoal and dozens of other fish related topics. I prefer Marineland C Series myself.
    Bob

Our baggage helped define who we are. How we carry it determines our direction in life.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-28-2012 4:50 PM
    Hi
    One of the best pieces of advice I've ever got particularly for large tanks is plumbing!! Will save a ton of labor not to mention the mess Are you going to use tap water?? If so what type of water is it?? While it's certainly possible to alter water params really tough on large volumes lol. i would design the filter around the type of fish and or plants you intend to keep. What kind of substrate did you have in mind . If you go for the huge schools of tiny tetras would be a shame to not landscape it though lighting is going to be tough. You made a first good decision by building it into the wall a tank that size will dominate the room anyway lol Good luck with whaatever you decide!!! gary

Thread Information