Lost my 3rd fire fish. What do you use to keep jumpers in?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't want to use egg crate blocks to much light, rather not use glass, I've been looking into mesh and netting solutions but having a hard time finding anything online that doesn't require buying 500sq ft of it.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Egg crate typically doesn't work anyways. Most jumpers can fit through the gaps.

Window screening or something I've heard referred to as "bird netting" typically works. Not sure about the sizes but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the minimum size for rolls.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Been looking at bird netting, Found a couple cheap ones but they're either plastic which would probably sag after awhile from the heat, or the holes might be a bit to big 5/8", the 1/4" ones want you to buy a $80 roll, I just need enough to cover my 40b.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Have you checked lowes or home depot?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
HD didn't have exactly what I was looking for, they had normal window screening which I'm not sure what kind of effect it would have on the lighting plus wasn't sure if that would sag from my lighting being a few inches away.

Blue thanks thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I can pick up some more rubble while I'm at it too.

amazon4

AC Members
Mar 14, 2012
Arlington, MA
I second the bulk reef supply stuff. Then just go to HD or Lowes and get the bits for a DIY window frame. Measure the dims you want and you can make a framed screen to lay on your tank. Keeps jumpers in, and allows O2 and light through, no problem. It's also very low profile, you don't even notice it.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
HD didn't have exactly what I was looking for, they had normal window screening which I'm not sure what kind of effect it would have on the lighting plus wasn't sure if that would sag from my lighting being a few inches away.

Blue thanks thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I can pick up some more rubble while I'm at it too.
I'm running stainless window screen from a DIY kit I picked up at my local HD. It has virtually no effect on light passing through it and does not sag at all from the light. The other half of my tank I used a piece of acrylic cut to size, it works well to cut down on evaporation, but it does sag and has to be flipped over weekly to prevent it front sagging too much.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
+3 on the bulkreefsupply screening. It's a 1/4" mesh and that will keep just aboyt any jumper in. If you tension it correctly, there should never be any sag in it, and they sell in quantities that make sense for such projects. Prices aren't much more than what you'll pay at HD or Lowe's either.

amazon4

AC Members
Mar 14, 2012
Arlington, MA
FYI, I've gone through sourcing the mesh from suppliers for our reef club before. You have to find the one with the correct properties because of the salt exposure, heat, and lights. This is why I recommend the BRS stuff because it stands up well to this environment. You may find stuff at a local hardware or craft store, but chances are it will become brittle and your fish will jump right through it. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store