new fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chief_T

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
hey guys i picked up 4 hermit crabs a few days ago along with a bunch of established filtration rings from one of their big reef tanks and then went today and had my water tested there and got back 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates so i got a clarkii clown today and he is really neat only thing is that he is digging his home i guess and is making the tank super cloudy so idk if he is only going to do this once or if he will keep digging holes i also wanted to find out if the lighting i have is sufficient for soft corals i am getting a blue bulb also so it will be a blue and a white light. these lights put off alot of heat btw so let me know what you think

heres his hole he dug

and here are the lights

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Nice, it is hard to tell by the pic, but it looks like the clarkii's coloring is dark. That is a good sign. It is a good determination of general health for him. If it is dark, almost black he should be pretty healthy. When stressed or ailing his color will lighten up.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice clown! Don't slow down on water changes or tests and wait a while before you consider adding another fish. You are probably going to need at least a little more cured LR to handle much more bioload. Make sue it is fully cured before you add it to your tank.

You might be able to keep shrooms alive (not thrive) with that lighting but I wouldn't suggest anything more.

Chief_T

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Nice, it is hard to tell by the pic, but it looks like the clarkii's coloring is dark. That is a good sign. It is a good determination of general health for him. If it is dark, almost black he should be pretty healthy. When stressed or ailing his color will lighten up.
Yes he is very dark almost completely black and he hasn't changed yet so that's good to know thank you for the info do you know if he will stop digging holes?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chief_T

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Nice clown! Don't slow down on water changes or tests and wait a while before you consider adding another fish. You are probably going to need at least a little more cured LR to handle much more bioload. Make sue it is fully cured before you add it to your tank.

You might be able to keep shrooms alive (not thrive) with that lighting but I wouldn't suggest anything more.
Yeah I'm going to keep up on things and I'm getting more live rock after the first of April so in a few days and yeah that's what my friend that works at the lfs said that I need to wait at the minimum a week to add anything else to the tank and **** even if I got a t5 light the blue one I could only have shrooms I was hoping I could get an anneome so that the clown can host it and will maybe stop digging holes and clouding up my tank

amazon4

AC Members
Mar 14, 2012
Arlington, MA
Looks good! Just go slow. I know it's hard to do :rolleyes:...believe me. But I'd hate to see you lose stuff because you went too fast.

I'd wait a couple of weeks before adding anything. Then when you do add, say, live rock, do a little at a time. It will cause a small cycle. And now that you have a fish in there you really need to be careful.

Chief_T

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Looks good! Just go slow. I know it's hard to do :rolleyes:...believe me. But I'd hate to see you lose stuff because you went too fast.

I'd wait a couple of weeks before adding anything. Then when you do add, say, live rock, do a little at a time. It will cause a small cycle. And now that you have a fish in there you really need to be careful.
Okay yeah I will be careful about that thank you for the info and yeah once I add the live rock slowly I will wait another week or two to add another fish thanks

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Waiting a specified time period isn't going to prevent losses. You need to test your water fairly routinely to ensure that it is stable enough to handle further additions. If you are going to add more rock, I would expect to wait a while before you can make that determination. Certainly no anemones for at least 6 months and you will definitely need a good quality light to keep one. And agin, you really need to be sure the rock add from now on is FULLY cured.

The clown won't dig more pits if she is happy with where she is. Your sand is still new as well and the sandstorms should subside as it ages.

Chief_T

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Waiting a specified time period isn't going to prevent losses. You need to test your water fairly routinely to ensure that it is stable enough to handle further additions. If you are going to add more rock, I would expect to wait a while before you can make that determination. Certainly no anemones for at least 6 months and you will definitely need a good quality light to keep one. And agin, you really need to be sure the rock add from now on is FULLY cured.

The clown won't dig more pits if she is happy with where she is. Your sand is still new as well and the sandstorms should subside as it ages.
Okay I tested today and the water is good and okay the clown has dug about 6 holes now and okay how long do you think before the sandstorms subside and okay if I have 6 months until anemones then I have plenty of time to think about lighting and what I can do I really want corals but I dont want to spend money and have them die so ill figure something out with that and okay what exactly does fully cured mean? I'm planning on buying rock from someone's established tank on Craigslist would that be concisered fully cured when it has all the coraline algae on it? I really do appreciate all the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store