couldnt pass him up. such a pretty fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
well walking through wally world tonight i had my usual stroll through the fish section. and i came to the poor bettas in the cup. and this guy really caught my eye, he looked so sad., and i picked him up and flared and looked nice and healthy. so i brought him home and took a few pics. i noticed him and elsie seemed to be eyeing eachother, so i put his cup in her tank and they booth checked eachother out, she seemed to put her head down and swim around the cup, while he flared up and showed off. man he looked beautiful. maybe they would be a match? anyway i set him up in the tank by my bed that was empty from some guppies i moved around...what do you guys think. he doesnt look like a normal veil tail. maybe a fancy female even. im curious what you guys think. anyways here are some pics of my newest friend, i named him Ryu

DSCF0672.JPG DSCF0676.JPG DSCF0678.JPG DSCF0679.JPG

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
anyone else think its a really nice finned female?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
you know, looking at him (or her) from the first cup, I would think no, definitely not but then I got to the last 2 pics and thought, hey... that's a female.... call it Mystery!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
you know, looking at him (or her) from the first cup, I would think no, definitely not but then I got to the last 2 pics and thought, hey... that's a female.... call it Mystery!
yeah im definately stumped what ever he/she is im glad i got it, it was so pale when i picked him up. cup felt ice cold, it really colored up on the car ride home with the heat on.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Your betta has great coloring. Glad to see you saved it from the urine specimen cup prison. All Female bettas have short fins.
thats not true..not all females have short fins.
this is a female betta bred and raised by me 100% female..so no not all females have short fins

oh and OP: lovely fish!!...look under it..in a week or so if it shows a white egg spot under it it will be a female
you can see it in this pic

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
thats not true..not all females have short fins.
oh and OP: lovely fish!!...look under it..in a week or so if it shows a white egg spot under it it will be a female
you can see it in this pic
This is not necessarily true. Some males will show the egg spot. It is actually becoming so common that it is now a disqualifying feature when showing male bettas. Most of them will lose it when they fully mature, but some will keep it throughout their lives. If that is what you are using for telling gender, it is possible your top picture is a male, which is what it looks like to me. I've seen delta tail and long fin halfmoon females and none of them have finnage nearly as long as that one. However, if it is a female, then it is a beautiful girl!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
This is not necessarily true. Some males will show the egg spot. It is actually becoming so common that it is now a disqualifying feature when showing male bettas. Most of them will lose it when they fully mature, but some will keep it throughout their lives. If that is what you are using for telling gender, it is possible your top picture is a male, which is what it looks like to me. I've seen delta tail and long fin halfmoon females and none of them have finnage nearly as long as that one. However, if it is a female, then it is a beautiful girl!

she was indeed a female bred and raised by me and bread once before retireing (moved and got out of betta breeding).

100% garanteed female. lived with 6 other girls in a 25 planted got vertical bars and laid eggs that hatched.

I did not know about the males showing egg spots..that is good info to have^_^

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
That is a beautiful female. I would have snatched her up if I would have seen her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store