Smaller Parrot trapping bigger Parrot in Cave.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
My smaller Parrot is trapping my slightly bigger parrot in the cave.. It moved gravel on one side so it wont leave one end and it is watching the other side like a watch dog.. Every time it peeks out, it nudges it back in.. I have to distract it so I can feed them both.
Been going on for a few days now. They are about 5 months old and have been together since I got them 2 months ago.(same tank at Petsmart).. So they know each other..
They used to both just hang out and swim around... now they are acting weird.. I would think that one is protecting the other so it can lay eggs but since they can not, what is really going on??

fish 029.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
blood parrots?

what size is your tank?

remember these are cichlids. blood parrots can be unpredictable in their levels of aggression.. in part due to not knowing what mix they are...
but cichlids in general can be unpredicatable.

I suspect it's more a territory issue

therese marie

fish lover
Mar 4, 2012
So CA
There are 2 in a 40 gl tank..
Well I was all worried for nothing.. I just noticed the one in the cave (female) is helping out LOL.. She is putting rocks up on the other side as a barrier..So I am thinking she is getting her spot ready for something..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store