trying to get a angelfish pair from some adults i have

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

svt28103

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
i have 5 adults in my 55,water quality is perfect.i had 2 angelfish originally but i bought 3 more.i wish i could take pics to show you guys.is there anything i can do to help along the process of 2 angels becoming a pair? they all get along great,theres no fighting at all,they swim past each other basically saying Hey whats up lol.i know for sure i have one female,that ive had for 3 years,it seems like she has no interest at all in any of the other angels,all she is worried about is food.id appreciate anything anyone could say on,how can i get a pair from what i have so far in my tank.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
The males need to be from 8 months to a year, sometimes they won't breed until even older. With mine, sometimes doing a 50-75% water change will trigger them to breed but usually they do it when I don't want them to (when I don't have time for fry!lol) It would be nice if you could pick the pair, but they have their own ideas for mates so usually I just have several together and wait for them to pair up on their own. A good healthy diet is usually necessary as well. I feed mine good quality flake and supplement with some thawed/frozen bloodworms for a few weeks to help get them in condition.

It basically comes down to nature. Keep up with water changes, have something for them to spawn on (mine prefer a piece of slate placed vertically in the tank but some use clay pots as well), feed them a good quality and variety of foods, and then cross your fingers.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sometimes too it is very subtle at first. Do u notice 2 of hem hanging around more together than the others. Not neccessarily all the time, just more often?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
while statistically unlikely it is still entirely possible you have all females. :)

watch for "fighting" but don't try to break it up. If you have a male and it's old enough it will eventually start chasing the females and doing the "lip-lock" thing. If there are multiple males they will do this too, attempting to establish dominance. You don't say how long you've had the most recent additions but they could just still be settling in to a new environment.

if it goes on like this for more than a few--like 3 or 4--months you might want to consider swapping out some of the newbies for different stock in hopes of a better gender balance. good luck. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store