Need help picking out plants and animals for my Paludarium!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pacificblu202

Registered Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hey everyone! I have been working on a custom paludarium for quite some time now and am getting to the final stages of construction. The terrarium part of it is 6ft long and roughly 2 feet tall/deep. coming in at about 140gallons. and this entire setup is sitting on top of a 55g fish tank. I want to put fish in the tank and some reptiles and amphibians throughout the tank. I really want to have some red eyed tree frogs and was also thinking a veiled chameleon. Can you guys help me pick out some stuff that would work? also anything that could swim in the tank and go on land would be an awesome addition. I was wanting a snake too but dont know what would be able to live in such an enviornment.(rough green snake?). Im not worried about losing a few fish to some hungry reptilians but I dont want any fights between the reptiles. I am very well equipped in filtration and have an extensive knowledge of fish its just the reptiles and plants that are getting me.
Thanks!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
If you're looking into plants, I'd recommend looking up plants that are safe for Dart Frogs. Dart Frogs are fairly sensitive so anything sensitive to them will be sensitive to others as well. Most of the plants will also be perfect for a terrarium/paludarium style plants.

As for animals, I'd recommend posting more info of the tank (especially the layout and the tank size and the water volume)

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
If you're looking into plants, I'd recommend looking up plants that are safe for Dart Frogs. Dart Frogs are fairly sensitive so anything sensitive to them will be sensitive to others as well. Most of the plants will also be perfect for a terrarium/paludarium style plants.

As for animals, I'd recommend posting more info of the tank (especially the layout and the tank size and the water volume)
I'd disagree with dart frogs being sensitive. As long as temps stay under 80 degrees they're very hardy. I keep ~15 species (for the OP's sake, if you have any comments regarding the link please leave them in that thread and not here, don't want to derail) and they're among the easiest animals I've ever kept. I have a ton of different plant varieties and have never had issues, you just don't want to mess with anything that releases sap, but that applies to all amphibians/fish/reptiles for the most part.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store