simple tank/ transport

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I know little/ nothing about SW but I have been lurking on freshwater forums for a few months now and have a few tanks running.
I am going to Florida for spring break and a friend wants me to try to catch something for his new saltwater tank. He has just set up a 6 gallon tank but I am pretty sure it has not cycled (SW tanks do need to cycle right? :confused:)

I am probably just going to catch a crab or maybe even a shrimp for him since I don't know how well he will be able to care for a saltwater tank, and from my experience with freshwater, invertebrates don't dirty up a tank very quickly. I need to know what I would need to take care of whatever I catch while I am at the beach (I will be able to do water changes daily), how to transport it, and most important how to know if his tank is actually ready for livestock, or if it comes down to it what I would need to temporarily take care of it. Not looking to invest in this so if this can't be done with normal mechanical filters, an air pump, and a 2 gallon betta tank, I'll just tell him it was too difficult.

If this is not a horrible idea could you please point me in the right direction of what I would need and even anything I should look for while in Destin Florida (crabs /shrimps/ plants to help with the journey)?

Thanks, even if its a bad idea I am still interested in how I can make sure he is setting up his tank right.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
First off there are laws in Florida that prohibit collection of animals. Some can't be collected at all while some require a SW fishing license. No, I don't think you will be fined for taking a single crab but wanted you to be aware.

Yes, SW tanks must cycle and that can take considerably longer than a FW tank. You should collect anything unless your friend can care for it.

Where are you going in Florida? How are you traveling and how far of a trip? A styro cooler, something to move water and possibly a heater would be the minimum equipment you'll need.

In all honesty you are probably better off just leaving the animals at the beach if you don't know what you're looking for and just enjoy your trip.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Oh I forgot Florida has pretty strict laws. If saltwater takes longer to cycle then his tank probably isn't ready for anything.
What is considered "live rock" or "live sand"? is it just any rock or sand from the ocean? Would collecting some sand help his tank out?

Thanks for the info.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Also keep in mind, most the easy to catch invertebrates around Florida are considered "pests" in SW aquariums. The crabs especially tend to jump right past "not reef safe" and land somewhere in the area of "where'd all my livestock go?!".

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Very true. You cannot take live rock from Florida waters without proper credentials (not just a SW fishing licence). You will not enjoy your time in Florida if you are caught taking rock out of the ocean. You can (I believe) take a rock that has washed up on the beach (i.e., not in State waters anymore) but you would want to check on that through FWCC. Live rock is rock that has been colonized with bacteria (similar to bioballs or biowheels in a FW setup). The rock and sand are your bilogical filter in a SW tank.

http://myfwc.com/media/2075522/saltwater_regulations_chart.pdf

Live rock is listed under "Prohibited Species" (lower right).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store