New tank quick question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
So I'm new to everything and my tank I have already made the saltwater and it turned out right on the mark I have my water at 78 degrees. I added my aragonite sand (60 lbs worth) an I not have about 2" of substrate (what I wanted) and super cloudy water... It has been cloudy for abt 2 days so I turned on my protein slimmer thinking that it would help and I can't even tell if it's working or not. I've never used anything like this before so I may have it completely wrong who knows... Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd let it all settle before turning on any equipment. Did you add the sand after the water? If so thats why its cloudy and could take days to settle down.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
do you not have any mechanical filtration? I haven't delved into salt water but shouldn't there be some foam in there somewhere?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Depends how fine the stuff is, if its fine it could take 2-4 days to settle down. I wouldn't do the rockscape untill its settled otherwise its going to settle on your rocks and when you go to add your circulation pump it gets shot off the rocks and clouds up the water again.

In the future add the sand first then flatten out the bag it came in and stick it inside the tank and pour the water in on top of that.

I've used CP Elite with out any problems, I usually rinse the hell out of the bag first though.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Stick a couple pieces of rock on top of it, if its an Aquaclear you can wedge the bag between 2 sponges.

Inland Aquatics

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
If your LFS has biomagnet is a marine safe product that will help the the particles to clump and be removed with your filter much faster. If you mixed your saltwater with tap water the chemipure is good to add now. If you used RO it isnt needed at the moment but will be down the road. Just like squid said rinse it till it runs clear. You should also always rinse your carbon and GFO/GFH . IMO!

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
Try to rinse that filter out constantly. You also should replace filter fiber media ever 3 days, most people go with that cheap massive bag of filter media because of this. I literally just added sand after the water, it's only been a few hours and it's fairly clear. Of course time will depend on overall volume of your tank, which yours is obviously much more than mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store