"Knife" Catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdickert

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2011
Hi everyone! Hoping I can get some advice on a situation. Earlier in the week, I was at Petco and saw these relatively large catfish (about 4-5" in length) that were marked as a "knife catfish". I talked to the fish guy there at the store and he said that they were peaceful scavengers who would do well in a community tank. With that, I picked him up and homed him in the tank. As with most cats I have known, he is pretty passive during the day, and then gets a bit more active in the evenings.

After the first night, one of my gold dust mollies was missing - no floating remains - nothing. The fish was just gone. This got me to do a bit more research, and there is one post on the net that says these Petco knife catfish are actually ompok bimaculatus. Looking at pictures, he does look similar to this, but he doesn't have the spots - so I'm really not sure what he is. And if he was the culprit who ate the molly. I haven't had any more missing fish over the past few days, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything more about these fish and if they will be good in a basic community tank (mainly larger tetras).

Anyone else buy one of these and how did it work out for you? Appreciate any mindshare I can get here :) Here's a pic I took of him this morning.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Last edited:

Pudgeking

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2012
Yep, those are ompok bimaculatus. I have one as well, and I can guarantee that these catfish will eat small tankmates. Mine was in a 10 gallon in petco for 3 months, living off of the platies/mollies they put in its tank, and I have trouble getting my ompok to feed on anything else besides live fish. They are awesome fish, but I would be much happier if mine would start taking pellets. They seem fairly skittish as well.

808_fairladyz

Hawaii Freshwater Aquaria Hobbiest
Nov 23, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Yep, those are ompok bimaculatus. I have one as well, and I can guarantee that these catfish will eat small tankmates. Mine was in a 10 gallon in petco for 3 months, living off of the platies/mollies they put in its tank, and I have trouble getting my ompok to feed on anything else besides live fish. They are awesome fish, but I would be much happier if mine would start taking pellets. They seem fairly skittish as well.
Try feeding yours chopped up market shrimp or silver side or smelts.

Sent from my LG-P509

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store