Stocking my 90g Reef Sytem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sherah

AC Members
Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Real Name
Kasyndra
I am stocking my 90 gallon reef tank. sump system with protein skimmer and refugium. x2 250 MH lamps,
I have a clarkii clownfish and an indigo hamlet (probly not keeping it) i definitely am getting a magnificent fox face and a hippo tang as well as a copperband butterfly and 2 wight cap clownfish and 3 Japanese bar gobies, and possably a cleaner wrasse, gonna try to get him on flake food, i like the challange. So, my problem is, there's lots of large centre piece fish and i would like some suggestions for some more inconspicuous bottom dwellers.
all suggestions are welcome, even rares and difficult to keep fish. but they MUST be reef safe
:)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Like a nice Hawk fish??

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
In my opinion tangs get too big for a 90.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pixie Hawk. Falco Hawk.

Sherah

AC Members
Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Real Name
Kasyndra
i said that tangs get to big, but my bf wants it so bad! its hard to say no. :p we can always sell it back if it gets to large.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
i said that tangs get to big, but my bf wants it so bad! its hard to say no. :p we can always sell it back if it gets to large.
It is not that Tangs get big, but that they are real swimmers. They just need the room to "race".

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You can have a tang, just not a hippo. Seriously, they need a lot of space and they are ich magnets. Just say no to the hippo. Kole tangs, bristletooth tangs and mimic tangs are the species to consider for a 90. All tangs should be QT'd as all are highly susceptible to stress and ich. The cleaner wrasse will not survive more than 6 months. Cleaners need very large tanks and lots of fish. Again, just say no to this fish. Same goes with Copperband. These are pretty much expert fish that are pretty difficult to get eating in captivity. They need large tanks (say 180+).

You cannot add 2 clowns with your clarkii (especially a different species). My suspicion is the Clarkii will kill the other 2 but they could also kill the clarkii. If you want more clowns buy a smaller clarkii than what you have and hope they pair up.

Sorry to be so negative on your stock list but I don't see a lot of success with those fish combined with you being new to the hobby and the size of the tank.

Hawks are cool but there is a high probability taht they will eat your snails and crabs as well as shrimp you might want to keep later.

How about some of the watchmen gobies. You could easily do 2 or 3 of those in a 90 provided you have a fair amount of rock along the sandbed. Randalls gobies are very cool and they also get a little size to them. Could also add some pistol shrimps with them. Other options for rock hugger are basslets/grammas, assessors, and blennies. Only get one blenny total unless they are completely different. You might get away with something like a midas (personal favorite) and lawnmower blenny but definitely research that.

Sherah

AC Members
Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Real Name
Kasyndra
my clarkii is only 1.5" right now, still a baby, i convinced agents the hippo tangs because of the size and ich problems :) thank goodness. also the copperband had been in QT at the store for about 3 weeks and is going in next week, my bf dose work at an aquarium store so we have the price benefits as well as the extra space. also, the wightcap clowns are almost 2.5" each, and have quite a personality to them. been in QT for 2 weeks.
Hawks are always a nice, fast, attractive fish, but have experienced problems with all of them and to no true avail, never any pods left and lots of problems with keeping a cleaner crew so im going to restrain my self and avoid them if possible, sense my tank is a reef tank with a lot of relitivly expensive and quite beautiful corals and such.
no way around it, getting the foxface. and it looks like the hippo tang is being replaced with ..(drum roll!) ..panther grouper! :help2: silly boy... would be amazing yah! but no..
the cleaner wrasse has been at the store for 6 weeks and eats flake occasionally but is nuts over brine and eats pods to, so looking into that most likely.
not to crazy over watchman gobys, not my cup of tea really, but the transparent cave gobys look good, and we have 3 at the store and look healthy. already have a midas blenny. doing great! hes 4" and we have had him over a year now.
any experience with the cave dwelling gobys? how many can i keep together? 3 or more? looking for something that size and shape, bottom dwelling to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store