Adding Calvus to 75gal & Front to 180?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
Mountain Basin, Near Valley
So I have four Black Calvus in a 20gal (still small ~2") and the last Remaining Front (~4") was wondering if I could add the Calvus to my 75gal (stock is updated in signature) and my Frontosa to my 180 (Jewels in there are the same size as the front and are not hunted by the bichirs or Odoe. Wat do you all think?

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
So Essentially It'd breakdown like this

Goldfish From 10Gal-20Gal +a 2nd Goldie for company
Calvus From 20Gal-75Gal (This tank has alot of Filtration; Sponge, two AC filters and a HOT Magnum)
Frontosa from 20Gal-180Gal

My biggest thought is if the Frontosa will survive against the Jewel Cichlids in the 180 they're roughly the same size so in theory it should be okay? (yes water parameters are the same Water) and my Bichirs although two are pushing 18", don't bother the cichlids. my other worry is how aggressive WILL the Frontosa be?

One other thought Kribensis and Calvus? given parameters are the same how would these two species fare together in said 75gal? Given Calvus have a shell bed and plenty of driftwood to wedge into?

I really would like to get input, as this would allow fish larger habitats and appease my parents as well...Win-Win

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
They may work for a while til all of the pot luck fish you have decide to keep together eat each other, none of these fish should be mixed together especially a brown knife fish..

Leave the Bichirs to the 180gal when grown the Jewels will probably be eaten.. The 75gal when the bichir is grown will eat your fish and a 20gal is way too small for just one goldfish..

Here is what you do get rid of the goldfish, get rid half the bichirs and put your synodontis in there, turn the 75gal into a Tanganyika tank get rid of non tangs and turn your 20gal into a Krib tank species only.. Or get more tanks.. Just my opinion..

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
You suggest to rid my bichirs why? Have you not seen how many polys are in other MFKer tanks? I do 50% WC on all my Tanks every week and have 10-12x turnover on all my filters. I'd just like to understand your reasoning. And the Moke in the 75gal will probably be too small to eat its current inhabitants for another year or two....Sorry I'm just very frustrated with everyone on here criticizing stock that has been given OKs by multiple other groups without giving real definitive explanations

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Its your tank and your fish you do what you want to, if you do not want anyone's opinions do not ask for them, obviously my statement above was just an opinion, I did not say get rid of all your Bichirs and honestly a 180gal is big enough to house them all even if you keep the Aro and Pike matter of fact i would throw the other Bichir Moke and the Brown Knife in the 180gal as well and just keep that as a huge predator tank.

As for the Goldfish tank if they are small fish with the diligent water changes will be okay for a little bit but once they attain some size def not, at the least a 55gal for them would be suffice due to their high waste output and space requirement.

For the 75gal will be your call go ahead and stick them in there but my opinion would be to make the 75gal a Tanganyika tank, Tangs do not fare to well with other non Tang species usually they get pushed around and picked on especially Frontosa when smaller. Of course the Synodontis can stay since they are a Rift Lake species.. Tangs grow really slow and take a lot longer to mature unlike other fish but when the Calvus and Frontosa are grown the Calvus will reach 6" and the Frontosa depending on sex will make it to well over a foot and usually do better with some same species company and will eat smaller fish.

Yeah i should have said more in the first post but hey it is what it is.. Also when posting questions like this photos are of a great assistance to making this easier and to get a better ideal of what you really have.. Everyone has an opinion sometimes its not what we want to hear but when it comes down to it as long as you and the fish are happy is what counts..

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
At the moment the moke and abk would be a snack, sadly they won't be big enough for a bit, I do plan on moving them when they attain that size, it's a lionchu Goldie I realized I forgot to mention that, he's golfball sized right now and I'm very religious about WC...thanks for the opinion and explaining your points better I do believe I'm going to take your advice and find a good colony for my front, as I thought about it and I'd hate it to see my pike end up belly up sometime in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal well keep me posted and post up some photos would be sweet to see a 180gal with those Bichirs in there.. Take care..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store