Adding stock to new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I am looking to add a clownfish to my tank, the only problem is the live rock I want is like $200 and I don't have that kinda money right now. My question is can I buy base rock from my LFS and some of their live cured rock and add a clownfish? I will be running my protein skimmer for filtration

Also I heard that if you put porous rock under live rock it will seed and the rock will become live rock? Is this true or are they tellin me some bs to make a sale?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
It takes awhile for the dry rock to get seeded but yes it works, do 75-80% dry rock and the rest live rock. Marco has nice dry rock pretty cheap and its fairly light so you get a nice amount. How much is the LFS dry rock? My local shops sell for around $3.99 a lb.. I ended up paying a hair over $2/lb from marco with shipping.

After that once the tanks cycled you can add your clown.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yes it'll get a bit darker over time and various colored coraline growth will appear overtime but stuff like the purple coraline takes a while to happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store