Can you tell if this is a flounder/sole? what kind?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CatFud4

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Hi,

i'm going to try to post a pic of a "flounder" i bought some time ago from a LFS... they had it labeled as a flounder.
but their labeling isn't always right.

the pictures aren't very good, but maybe they're good enough for someone to recognize it.

One pic is a blurry closeup, and the other is a backed up picture to help show it's size. there's a high fin white tetra in the picture, two silver tip tetras near the top, and a couple of glow lights on the bottom.

I've tried several times, with different cameras, and just can't get a decent picture of that "flounder"

does anyone recognize it, and can identify it?

thanks
Justin

flounder1a.jpg

CatFud4

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
thanks

i really like that fish, but i wish i knew more about it so i could take better care of it. I've had it about a year now, so i guess i'm doing ok. The sand substrate was put in there just for that fish. I had gravel when i first got it, but it would stay on the glass sides all the time. When i put the sand in, it went straight down to it, and has been enjoying it ever since.

It's neat when it buries itself, and all you can see are the two little eyes sticking out. For being as dark as it is, it disappears pretty well.

well, thanks again for the nice comment.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Attempt #1:
Black flounder (Rhombosolea retiaria)
Native of New Zealand

Being that it's "apparantly" the only true freshwater flounder, it was a good start.

But found a second possibility, Achirus lineatus (Freshwater Flounder or Lined Sole

Either of those?

CatFud4

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
it kind of looks like that bottom one. it has the same markings, pretty much... but with more black spots. when i bought it, they had a tank full of them... and they all looked almost identical.

But it does have those stripes... they're made up of a bunch of alligned dots. Sometimes, (i can't figure out why it does this) it's color fades, and instead of being really dark grey/black, it'll be a medium/light grey, but the black spots that make those stripes stay black. It'll get lighter for a few days, then go back to normal.

Maybe that picture is of one during that lighter phase.

that top fw flounder looks really nice. do you know how big those get?

thanks for the suggestions!

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
i would guess the NZ one to be quite rare in the US. the second species wippit has listed is the one typically listed for sale, so it is about 100x more likely that you have this one. i don't keep any, but if i recall correctly, they become increasingly brackish and possibly even marine as they mature. therefore, i doubt this "freshwater" flounder is a true FW fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store