Tank leveling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I just moved my new 115 in and put it on the stand, I spent several hours yesterday leveling the stand with wooden shims, (If anyone wants to know my opinion of Dominion homes just ask :argh :argh :argh ) The stand is level and straight, I put the tank on and it rocks slightly, I shimmed one corner, to see how much rock it had, and I would say less than 1/16'' at the worst point. If this was your basement would you fill the tank with water? Am I just being too picky or is there a worry here? It is a brand new tank (built 4 weeks ago this coming monday), so the silicone is in excellent shape and I would think it will be O.K. but this is a lot of water for my new basement to absorb. Please just give me your thoughts and experiences, I will hold no one liable.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Better safe than sorry.

Edit:
I level front to back, and side to side when I set up a big tank. I also do a trial half-fill with tap water if the aquarium is on carpet.

Last edited:

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Thanks for your responses, I guess I kinda knew the answer, but was really hoping to get off easy. after what I went through getting the stand pefect, I was really dissapointed with the way the tank sat on it, but short of using a machined steel table, I don't know how a manufacturere could get it any closer. Is there any good way to hide the shims, they won't stand out under the tank so much, but the stand has over 1/2" of shims at one end. The floor is concrete with (lenolium) tile on it. and the shims show up very well.

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
I concur-make sure it is perfect. You will sleep alot sounder.

I knock alot of 2x4 stands together for my basement tanks-if there is any hint of them being off-I take some 1/2" styrofoam and put it down under the tank to counter any pressure points from irregular surfaces. I cover the edges with black duct tape and they blend good with my black frame tanks.

Is it a cabinet stand?

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Interesting situation, what made me the most nervouse was that the tank showed out of level despite the fact that the stand was extremely level. I did some verification work, and found that the stand is still perfect, the tank shows level at every check except one end. I further checked that end and found that the plastic rim was slightly raised, We moved this tank just two days after it was built, although we were very carefull, I suspect that the rim got lifted ever so slightly at one corner. I shimed for the slight rock, actual measurement with feeler gauge was only .029" so far less than 1/16". Wooden shims wouldn't fit so I used metal shim stock. Will be full of water this evening. I am dying to see this tank full and lit. I hope I don't get any more hiccups to deal with.

Is it a cabinet stand?
It is a cabinet I bought used from my brother he had a 90 on it for several years, the stand itelf is in great shape, I checked it every way I could for level straight, etc. before I set it in the office, the concrete floor is 1/2" lower at one end of a 48" stand than the other. I knew the floor was bad, but didn't expect it to be that bad. I could really rant about the builder of this house, I still get heartburn every time I hear them advertise quality homes, but I'll leave that one alone on this forum.

mattj

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Hey there fellow columbusite! Sorry to hear about the problems with your builder. They advertise a lot so keep a roll of Tums handy for awhile or forgo the TV/Radio until your ulcer heals.

I must be lucky when it comes to tank leveling. I've never gone through anywhere near the pains most of you seem to take to ensure a level tank. The main thing I look for is torque (e.g. low or high opposing corners. If it's canted marginally any way except forward I usually just go with it. Haven't had a tank leak yet. I did line the stand for my 150 I recently set up with some weatherstripping foam to try and absorb any minor variations. I like the styro idea alot and plan to use it for future basement tanks.... who'm I kidding, it's indoor pond time for the basement!

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
It's full and running, I was pretty jumpy, but this is the biggest tank I have ever owned, and I was just a little nervous. Looking at it now, I kind of wonder what it was I was so worried about, it's just like setting up 2 55g's I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store