New here,need some help with sump build.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
Hey guys,planning on setting up a reef tank soon.Right now i have a 20 long i want to make into a sump/refugeum.Any guides or plans you can point me in the direction of?

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks!,Trying to figure all this out is a bit overwhelming at first but I'll get it!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Are you planning for just a sump or having a refuge as well? What size sump are you working with?

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
Sump with Refuge,It's a 20 long glass tank.Still not completely sure what i want to do,been researching all day and i might start without a sump and add one later.Not sure yet though I'll probably change my mind 100 times in the next few weeks before i made a decision.

fjr

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2012
wadley al
Real Name
forrest reaves
in my opiona 20 long isnt very deep for a sump.the taller the better.you want as big as a sump as you can fit under your main tank.you want room for your filter sock,your return pump,your refugium,your heater,and your protein skimmer.if you use the 20 long by the time you make your step downs you will only have a couple of gallons of water in the return side and will have to add water more often.i would say at least a 29 gallon if you cant go bigger.i have made several they are easy and a lot cheaper then buying one.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not a bad price. Skimmer is ok but you may want to upgrade that. Lighting sounds good but would want to know more about the ballasts and bulbs (if bulbs are close to a year old they should be replaced and MH bulbs are not cheap). Really depends on the condition of the system and if it is a drilled bowfront but I would be inclined to offer about $400 to $450 for the setup (maybe less if I had to buy new bulbs).

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
I am so freakin excited to start my first tank!,Just got my tax returns,can see that going quick!.time to go shopping tomorrow!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store