Protein skimmer question?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Right now all I have is live rock in my tank. I will be adding a few clown fish soon so I turned on my skimmer and I'm not sure how to work it or if it's working..... It's a coralife super skimmer for 65 gal tanks, yes I know it's not the best but I'm upgrading soon. Anyway it's got 2 knobs to turn which raise the water level. What's the appropriate level it should be at and will I see any waste? I'm completely in the dark here

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333646459.664829.jpg
Intake and first knob

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333646500.720440.jpg
Cup and red second knob

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333646459.664829.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333646500.720440.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The red dial is the water level valve. The more that valve is closed, the wetter it will skim. The black/grey valve is the needle wheel pump's adjustment. That valve controls how much air the skimmer brings in from above. The red valve should be turned so that the water level is just at the red ring (where the o-ring is). The black dial should be about 50% closed or where microbubbles are rising to just below the base of the inverted cone in the collection cup (kind of the neck of the skimmer). Let it run like that for a few days to break-in the unit and then adjust them from there to how you want the unit to skim (wet v. dry). However, the black valve should remain fully open after the break-in period and you should only use red dial from there to adjust the water level in the skimmer. Yes, you should see waste accumulate and your collection cup may fill up fairly quick during the break-in and then slow down once it settles down.

Skimming dry (red dial is more open), the water level is set lower in the skimmer (micro bubbles are just rising into the inverted cone). Wetter skims require higher water levels (red dial is more in closed position) with micro bubbles rising to about 1/2 way up the inverted cone. As waste is captured the micro bubbles will carry the waste to the top and the microbubbles will become larger creating a foam head. Those larger bubbles will be the one carrying the wate on their surface and will pop once above the cone and the waste will fall into the cup.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
With the red valve closed this is the water level in the skimmer and when I turn it the other direction the water rises
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333653584.176240.jpg

I can turn the black valve and raise or lower the water level. But I'm unsure where to have it.. Also it's been running for about 3 days and in guessing I've had it wrong cause it produces nothing

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333653851.626244.jpg
This has the water level just above the red ring but I not only adjusted the red but I also turned the black valve

Sorry I'm just so lost an the instructions were absolutely no help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333653584.176240.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333653851.626244.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Can you shoot a pic of the venturi going on the pump and one of the air tube/line?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Ok that looks right so not sure what the problem is. These are not the best skimmers but it should at least be producing microbubbles in the chamber and I'm not seeing any? The break in this skimmer the grey valve should be 1/2 closed and the red one should be ajusted so that the water level is just below where I am seeing it in the pics. There should be a bed of microbubbles at that point and after a few days those bubbles should generate larger bubbles which travel up the neck of the collection cup and pop. If that's not working open the grey valve all the way and leave the water level where it is. If that doesn't work take/send the skimmer back and get another (non-coralife) skimmer.

One last question. Do you feel or hear any air being pulled in through the tip of the air silencer (the grey PVC looking piece hanging from the end of the air line)?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Then you either have a clog in the airline, the venturi (the knozzle looking thing connected to the pump in your above pic) is clogged or not seated correctly, the needle wheel impeller (behind the face of the pump) isn't seated correctly or the pump is just not working all together. That air line has to be clear and the venturi also has to be clear in order for air to be pulled into the skimmer chamber.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Glad you got it working! Don't forget to open the air valve all the way in a couple of days and then just use the red dial to raise/lower the water height so it skims how you want it to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store