Vivarium help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

butterflychild

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Hi all i was wondering if i should put play sand on top of my aquarim stones then top soil or other way around.? My Vivarium is for PVC and some other critters when i can figure what i can put in with them.If you have any ideas please let me know. Aswell what kind of fish can i put in the water part it may be about 2 gallons.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
no sand in a vivarium, unless it's strictly underwater.

you want to use a draining substrate first, like stones or hydroton. then a layer of window screen. then a layer of good vivarium soil like ABG Mix (atlanta botanical gardens mix) or you can substitute something like plantation soil/coco fiber mixed with some bark and charcoal, but ABG is cheap and perfect. Then, cover any areas that aren't planted lightly with leaf litter.

2 gallons of water is a bit small for most fish, especially if it's shallow as I imagine... I'd suggest maybe trying a mexican dwarf cray fish, or shrimp, or maybe micro rasbora if it's deep enough.

Notyalc

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
Hi all i was wondering if i should put play sand on top of my aquarim stones then top soil or other way around.? My Vivarium is for PVC and some other critters when i can figure what i can put in with them.If you have any ideas please let me know. Aswell what kind of fish can i put in the water part it may be about 2 gallons.
I use hydrotron layer charcol on top of that then use that pet furnace filter. this will keep the areas separated and will create a nice anoberic zone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store