Yellow lab with clear bubble in eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Hi everyone,

I just got this yellow lab today and it looks like it got into a scuffle with one of my other cichlids. Half of his fin is gone but I know it'll grow back. What is disturbing me is the left eye has a clear bubble on it and I'm not sure where it's from. Could it be possible it's an air bubble, or something else? When I look straight at it, it doesn't look like he can move that eye when he looks around. I've also attached an image of the right eye which is okay.

I'm new to cichlids and am trying to learn everything I can about them. I have a 36 gallon bow with one yellow lab, 2 acei and one brown spotted one which I can't remember the name.

Check out the pics and please let me know if I can do anything for the little guy. Thanks!

IMG_20120407_003241.jpg IMG_20120407_003036.jpg IMG_20120407_003235.jpg IMG_20120407_003229.jpg

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Alright, first, this thread should probably go to the "Freshwater Illness and Disease" forum. You'll find better responses there regarding how to make sure the fish heals properly. Don't worry about it though: you'll find your way around here soon enough.

Second, if you can, you'll want to isolate the injured fish so that he won't be harassed by the others. That'll go a long way to avoiding infection. If you have a cycled hospital tank, then I would suggest placing him in there. Or, if it isn't cycled, or you just don't have one yet, either put in a tank divider to give him room, or put him in a net so that the others can't get to him. It would also be good to add Melafix to the water; that will help him heal and avoid infection. You'll also want to increase the frequency, and possibly the volume of your water changes until he heals. 30-50% every other day should be good. As for the bubble eye, I don't really know what to do about that, but you'll find plenty of advice on what to do in the forum I mentioned above.

Now, what exactly is the brown spotted fish? It's likely that he's the culprit, since the Acei are relatively peaceful. However, it's still entirely possible that the Acei attacked the Lab. It would be great if you could post a picture of the spotted fish.

Last edited:

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Sorry about that. If there's a mod that can move the thread, that would be great. Here's the spotted fish.

IMG_20120407_084007.jpg

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
That spotted fish is a Venustus, and is quite an aggressive fish, especially towards more timid fish like Labs and Acei. You'll need to find another home for him anyway, since they get up to ten inches, and will need a much larger tank than a 36 gal. Your other fish should be fine as long as they have places like caves to hide in and claim.

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Thank you for the advice. I'm starting to doubt the knowledge of my LFS since that was definitely not the name on the tag when I bought him. I had a lengthy discussion with the guy about cichlids and was told that he is not agressive. The tag even said the max size was 4.5". I'm going to check the name when I go back there for some epsom salt, but it may be a good idea to return him since I got him the same day I got the lab.

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Just an update on the situation. I went back to my LFS and the guy I spoke to last night was there. Unfortunately I was not able to return the fish, but I found out the actual name of it. It is a Milomo, although it still gets up to 8" so it looks like I'll be upgrading my tank sometime in the near future. I looked up the species and found http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_milomo.php which talks about how they're not very territorial.

Anyways, I'm treating the yellow lab with Maracyn right now so hopefully he'll do better soon.

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Lol it's okay. Both fish look very similar though so it is hard to determine which is which at an early age.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, I guess so. Looking at it now, though, with all the yellow in its fins, it does look more like a Milomo.

How is your Lab doing?

oo3

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
He's doing great although he still has the clear bubble in his eye. I have no idea what it is, but he can move that eye now. Also his fin is starting to grow back a little bit. Thank you for asking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store