Sick Mbunu

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Sick Mbuna

Work has a 100g mbuna tank, and the largest of the fish (about 6in or so) is showing signs of problems. Can't claim to know much about our cichlid overlords, so hey, I'm asking here.

Water test should be coming tomorrow, I can pretty much guarantee the pH will be around 7.5, they have no buffer of any kind, but this is the first signs of stress in 3 years.

What she's doing: just floating there. Won't move all that much, and tends to tip over a little and then righten itself. Don't see any obvious physical problems except for a couple of tail nibbles, but I'm blaming that on the other fish.

Any ideas? (without knowing specific water parameters?)

Last edited:

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Wippit, what sort of mbuna are we talking about? If it's a true mbuna (i.e., a rock-dwelling Malawi) then it's in bad shape if it's hanging out at the top of the tank. That, coupled with your description of fight marks, leads me to suggest it's getting picked on. Best solution is to get it out of the tank PDQ.

It is possible there is some disease problem, but I'm guessing it's stressed/weakened from being picked on. Knowing the species of this fish and that of its tankmates, as well as the numbers, would help.

Best I can do...

Jim

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
It's a true Mbunu, don't know the exact species, but it's a melanchromis, and it's purple... It's also twice as big as any other fish in the tank, save the catfish. A week ago it was the undisputed boss of the tank, and had been for years... in fact, it's the mother of most of the current Mbuna residents.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Ok... the ailing Mbuna has faded in color, gone from bright purple to near-white. the other 6 fish are fine and none are attacking the sick fish.

Did a couple of water tests, pH maxed out on the midrange test (only goes to 7.5), ammonia is nil, nitrates very very barely register.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Hard to say what's wrong with it... but I'd pull it out and euthanize it (unless you have a hospital tank handy). On the off chance it's diseased, I'd want it out of the tank. Wish I had a better suggestion.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store