German Blue Ram Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have a small ram, and now I have a big problem.

3 days ago, a potted bonsai fell into the tank and started to rot. Yesterday I found it and did a 50% water change to get anything nasty out of the tank. Today, my german blue ram is lying on it's side looking completely fine otherwise (clear eyes, breathing fine, great coloration, no injuries that I can find, full stomach). I have no idea whats wrong, but can anyone help me figure it out?

PS: If any mod wants to move this to the Cichlid section, my computer wouldn't let me post it there :/

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
It certainly seems as though he is having problems as that is not normal behavior, obviously.

I think I would do another 50% water change now and see if that will help any. Poor guy.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
did you check the wter params?
was the bonsai a live bonsai? if live was it fed with treated water
try a larger water change

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
In my expirience, large water changes kill rams. They're very sensitive to changes in their water. You can try a 10% water change every day, or even twice a day, but I've had them die randomly from a 25% change, so...

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Could be stress from the water changes or the bomb from that rotting plant :/

:cheers:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, thanks for all the help.

The bonsai was alive (until it fell in) but the only water it got was old fish water. The ram is no where to be found today, but I'm hoping thats a good thing because it may mean she's hiding (she always vanishes for days on end then pops back up at random times), and I can't spot her lying on the bottom, floating at the top, or stuck to any filters/powerheads. All good signs I hope :/

As for water changes, I didn't do another one yet because of other pet-related issues, and I don't think I'm going to again this week (I do a 50% wc every week). With a great deal of luck and considering this ram is pretty much indestructable from experiance, she will pull through. Guess I just have to wait it out...

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
whatever type of soil the bonsai was originally potted with probably soaked out into the tank water. A lot of those soil mixes have fertilizers and additives that could be toxic. I would toss in some carbon, see if can adsorb anything that might have gotten in there.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
In my expirience, large water changes kill rams. They're very sensitive to changes in their water. You can try a 10% water change every day, or even twice a day, but I've had them die randomly from a 25% change, so...
I got my rams off of a local breeder and I kept all 10 together and did 50% water changes on them weekly without ever having a problem.

The 2 in my show tank are very used to it and they do enjoy chasing my siphon around as I clean.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
whatever type of soil the bonsai was originally potted with probably soaked out into the tank water. A lot of those soil mixes have fertilizers and additives that could be toxic. I would toss in some carbon, see if can adsorb anything that might have gotten in there.
Thats why I pulled the 50% wc. I figured that if the tree rot didn't leak something then the dirt did or at the very least the pot. Anyhow, the canister has carbon, but I'm also going to run some in my HOB and I put in a little stress coat extra.

As of right now, the ram is still no where to be found, but since I can't find a body I assume it's alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store