Decided on a first Setup,What do you think?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
I'm going to start with a 70 gallon 36" 18" 25" tank,found a brand new tank and stand for 310.00.It will have a 3" Dsb and lots of live rock.For lighting i am going to get a 36" t5ho 8 bulb fixture.I'm not going to run a sump right away later on down the road when the tank starts to get stocked i will add one.I was thinking of running a HOB protein skimmer and maybe a HOB refugium too.Not sure what powerheads yet maybe a wavemaker.Also maybe an Aquatop HOB filter with surface skimmer,not sure about that yet though.I've been on the computer nonstop for days and from my research i think this will work great,What do you think?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd skip the aquatop with skimmer, every Filter/Skimmer combo I've read about have been junk, spend that money on something else. Not sure what would be a good HOB Skimmer for that size tank. HOB Fuge you have a few cheap DIY options, Large Marina HOB breeder box, Finnex HOB breeder box both can be made into nice little fuges, or you can modify an Aquaclear filter a 70 or 110.

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for the advice,was just looking at the reef octopus protein skimmer and surface skimmer combo.Hows that unit?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The smaller reef octo is one of the units on my skimmer list I'm debating on for my nano tank, reviews aren't bad I'd assume the bigger ones should be as good as well.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Filtration? I'd do aquaclear 110 and either get a replacement media basket from intank or DIY one, run it with a either sponge,pad, or floss, and chemipure elite and rock rubble.

Jasonf

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
Maybe I'll just do a sump.I was trying to cut the cost at first but I'll probably just throw money away just upgrading to a sump later.I already have a tank to make into a sump.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That would be the best way to handle it. Sump will eliminate the need for the HOB skimmer, HOB filter, and HOB fuge, tank will look alot nicer without all the extra junk hanging in it.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Maybe I'll just do a sump.I was trying to cut the cost at first but I'll probably just throw money away just upgrading to a sump later.I already have a tank to make into a sump.
This would be the best option. Drill the tank now, and make the sump. I have a 60 gallon with hob skimmer and ac 110. I would have made a sump for mine but my stand doesn't allow it.

It's possible to make a great tank without a sump, but if you can swing it do the sump now, it gives you the most options and the extra water volume doesn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store