betta swollen belly 3 days

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
i have 1 male betta alone in a 2.5 gallon, heated, filtered tank for about 10 months now. ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 10-20. no plants. i dont use water conditioner, we're on well water, just straight water only for wayer changes. he's nevr really been a healthy fish, always had some issues with recurring fin rot since day 1. i used to treat it with salt, melafix, & stress coat (not at the same time) but after a while, i just stopped all meds and the fin rot would come and go on its own. it would always resolve on its own but would eventually return in a week or so. he always has a good appetite and energy level despite the recurring fin rot. right now he is fin rot free, and has been well for a couple of weeks. 3 days ago, i noticed his tummy swollen almost overnight. i tried fasting for a day, no change. next day, fed a pea but no change. last night, i soaked 2 pellets & 2 bloodworms in garlic juice and fed him (i read on internet that garlic might kill intestinal parasites) but no change. also, he still eats and has great appetite. i had a goldfish die from dropsy once and whatever betta has doesn't remind me of that. he doesnt have the classic "pinecone" look. could this be a cancer? i dont *think* he is in pain, since he can still swim and eat. should i euthanize this fish or wait and see? i dont want him to suffer. here is two pics:

swollen tummy 1 by big_cutie_monster, on Flickr

swollen tummy 2 by big_cutie_monster, on Flickr

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
As long as he's active and eating, I doubt he is suffering much, if at all. It could be just constipation. 1 teaspoon of epsom salts (predissolved) should help with the swelling and has a mild laxative effect.

If that doesn't work, perhaps try treating the reoccurring finrot with some anti-bacterial food. I have a male betta whose fins got very ratty-looking despite excellent water conditions. After 10 days of feeding him anti-bacterial pellets (which he ate with gusto! lol) there was much improvement. Good luck.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store