betta swollen belly 3 days, also posted in Disease forum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
betta swollen belly 3 days
i have 1 male betta alone in a 2.5 gallon, heated, filtered tank for about 10 months now. ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 10-20. no plants. i dont use water conditioner, we're on well water, just straight water only for wayer changes. he's nevr really been a healthy fish, always had some issues with recurring fin rot since day 1. i used to treat it with salt, melafix, & stress coat (not at the same time) but after a while, i just stopped all meds and the fin rot would come and go on its own. it would always resolve on its own but would eventually return in a week or so. he always has a good appetite and energy level despite the recurring fin rot. right now he is fin rot free, and has been well for a couple of weeks. 3 days ago, i noticed his tummy swollen almost overnight. i tried fasting for a day, no change. next day, fed a pea but no change. last night, i soaked 2 pellets & 2 bloodworms in garlic juice and fed him (i read on internet that garlic might kill intestinal parasites) but no change. also, he still eats and has great appetite. i had a goldfish die from dropsy once and whatever betta has doesn't remind me of that. he doesnt have the classic "pinecone" look. could this be a cancer? i dont *think* he is in pain, since he can still swim and eat. should i euthanize this fish or wait and see? i dont want him to suffer. here is two pics:

swollen tummy 2 by big_cutie_monster, on Flickr

swollen tummy 1 by big_cutie_monster, on Flickr

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I have a male betta with a big old pot-belly like that. With mine at least, it is just because he is a little piggy, steals a lot of the food put into the tank, and is over fed and fat. If he is happy and active & it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I wouldn't worry about it, myself... but, I am not great at diagnosing stuff. I definitely wouldn't euthanize, if he doesn't seem to be suffering at all. When they're sick, they let you know by acting funny. If he isn't bottom sitting, clamping his fins, floating upside down, lethargic, refusing to eat, or otherwise acting sick... I'd just leave him be and cut back the amount you feed him. He only needs a really, really small amount (2 or 3 pellets , or 3 or 4 blood worms, or just 3 or 4 flakes, depending on what you feed, TOTAL for the day.). Is he still pooping ok? Bettas can sometimes constipate easily, and sometimes need more than 1 day of fasting to get things going again. Constipation makes their belly swell. If he isn't pooping normal, try a 2 day fast, followed by feeding a crushed, skinned pea again for 2 days, and then small amounts of his regular food. See if that straightens him out. That doesn't look like dropsy, to me- and he'd be acting super sick, if it were.

Even with the well water and no chlorine, I would still use an additive to neutralize potential heavy metals in your tap water- those aren't good for the fish, either, and you can't see them- I know when I was at my old house, and on well water, we had really heavy rust staining on the bathroom fixtures if we didn't stay on top of it, and that meant lots of heavy iron in the water. You might not have that problem, but, it is always better to use water conditioner to get rid of metals if you're using tap water. At least that has been my experience.

Hope your little guy feels better soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
he is the same this morning, maybe even a little more swollen. i did feed him last night, but i'm gonna do a longer fast starting this evening. he only eats once a day, usually evening time. i've been overfeeding apparently, so will cut down on that as well if he makes it. thanks for the input jamiemonster.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Aww- sorry to hear he's still puffy, and you're welcome! Is his activity still good?

You can also try a little epsom salts for him- the dosage for that is 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons, but I don't think you have to be exact. You could make him up some by dissolving the salts in 1 cup of water, and then rationing out 4 smaller doses with a 1/4 cup measuring cup (the smaller 1/4 cup doses would treat the full 2.5 gallons, though). It wouldn't be dangerous at that concentration. Do your weekly water change, and then add one of the 1/4 cup doses... and don't use it for more than 5 consecutive days, then just do a larger water change at the end of the treatment, and don't add any more in. It might help him get pooping and might bring the swelling down a little, too. (Someone, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on this!) As long as he seems happy, though, don't worry too much about it. It could be nothing more than he is just a bit of a chubby guy, like my Salvador Dali, from being very well fed.

I think he's gonna be ok! Just fast him a little, cut back on his food, and try the epsom salts if you feel comfortable with it... see how he looks in a week of 2 of less food.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
He may just need to poop. Have you tried feeding him peas? Take a frozen pea and thaw it. Then kind of press it between your thumb and finger to get the shell off. With it being a betta, I would smoosh it and give him just a small portion of it. Refrigerate the rest. Have a small bit of pea be his only food each day for a couple of days. If it is constipation this will help him go. As far as the fin rot issue......daily 50% water changes for about 3 weeks should have him cleared up completely. It is amazing what pristine water can do for a fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store