What happened to him ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi All

Just got back 5 days ago from a 2 week out of town job. I just noticed few days ago my BTA is gone so i asked my wife did she see it and she told me it disappeared 2 weeks ago around same time i went.

This guy was around 3 years old, real big and always seemed to be healthy and had two clowns as friends

So thing is if he did die i would of thought it would crash my tank but all is fine other fish are fine coral is good inverts are good, parameters are same as always

This is a 46 Gal. bow front tank reef setup

I did look for him, moved some rock but dont want to move to much , done a water change few days back and still no anemone :(

So think i should just go and buy a replacement because my clown's are heart broken

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That is odd that you can't find him at all. Any evidence (hair algae, high nitrates, etc.) of elevated nutrients from the nem dying? Did you happen to change anything in the tank before you left? Flow, lighting (even changing bulbs)? These guys can shrink down to the size of a quarter and suck down in a hole. I think there is a good chance the nem is still in your tank.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
No changes made in the tank not in last few months anyway, everything is the same as i left it minus one BTA , this guy was big when full open he was around 16-18 inchs in diameter and when he would shrink down he was around the size of my fist ( avg size fist ) lol

well i hope he is still around but not looking good i just had another poke around the tank and no sign. there is a bunch of rock i cant and wont move due to corals and such

I think 3-4 days was longest i ever seen him gone

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That is bizarre. I didn't know it was that large. I can't imagine that dying in your tank and you still having a tank to come home to. Might be time to start asking your wife some more questions ;) :).

JacksonW

Registered Member
Apr 10, 2012
That is so odd. Hard to imagine something that big dying and it did not mess your tank up.
Hopefully she is hiding

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I just had another look and nothing

just checked my water parameters with my API test kit

PH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 10 ppm

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm

So my levels had increased some in last few days maybe he is dead :(

going to do a water change today

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The ammonia is a bit concerning with your tank being as old as it is. Definitely do the WC and keep testing. That or tear the tank apart to confirm it isn't still in there.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Update

Still no BTA , tearing the tank apart is not a option its a reef tank and i have corals and such established.

Another water change done

PH- 8.2
Nitrate still around 10 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm or very near 0

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Glad to hear you have abated the ammonia. Did you find a trap door under the tank. This is still one of the weirdest vanishing tricks I have heard of. I would keep testing for a couple weeks just to be sure.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
The trap door leads to the sump and he is not down there i already looked :)

I am still at a loss I cant believe he is gone he was to big to vanish with out a trace

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store