marine lobster tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nick123

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2011
i just picked up a marine lobster tank for $100. its fully functional. does anyone know the exact requirements as far as salt and temperature? also what types of fish can live in the same conditions? i may start with just fish then possibly the lobster. is liike to set it up like a regular tank would be. or will the lobster tear everything apart? thank you

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What type of marine lobster? Maine type lobsters would require a coldwater setup and likely tear apart any fish, some lobsters live in the tropics and would probably be ok with larger fish.

nick123

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2011
what about the ones they have at red lobster? it has the chiller i can lower the temp if needed

nick123

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2011
what types of fish live in the same water temp as the coldwater lobsters? i dont have to have a lobster, but i might as well use the chiller since i have it

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
How many gallons is the tank? Red Lobster lobsters are collected in the northern atlantic they're American Lobster or Homarus Americanus. Don't know much about coldwater fish, I've seen a few a really cool coldwater corals and nem's though.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
One very important consideration when you fill the system. Get a good quality temperature corrected refractometer or better yet a conductivity meter, not a hydrometer. A hydrometer doesn't measure salt directly, but rather it measures the relaive density of the sample. The temperatures at which you will be keeping a cold water marine tank (55-65 F) are far outside the temperature range that hobby hydrometers are calibrated for. At the lower temps water is much denser and it screws up the readings on a standard swing arm hydrometer royally.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
what types of fish live in the same water temp as the coldwater lobsters? i dont have to have a lobster, but i might as well use the chiller since i have it
You know it will cost as much to run a chiller as an air conditioner? Hint, hint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store