Killer upside down cats?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have 4 upside down cats (Synodontis nigriventris) and I we the past few days I have a dead fish, half eaten in my tank. I have found 4 tetras and 1 Otto.....all half eaten. Could it be the cats? Other then tetras I have a bn, clown and golden nugget plecos, mollies, dwarf gouramis, platties and Amano, ghost, bamboo and vampire shrimps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Ive kept upside down cats in community tanks before with many of the fish you listed. Including tetras and ottos. I never saw them show signs of aggression.

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
Just thought it might be them since they are new and this just started happening. When I do see them they seem to just mind their own business and leave everything else alone.
Maybe it's something else and the shrimp are making snacks out of the dead fish.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
What are the specifications of your tank? Stock, size, water parameters?

Also how long ago were the cats added and did you have a quarantine period before adding them to the tank?

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have a 90g with a 30g sump. Not sure on the parameters of the water but I have cloudy water that I can't get rid of. I was told by my lfs that it is most likely a bacteria outbreak since I do regular wc and the water stays the same. I was advised to stop adding Excel and leave the tank alone for a few weeks and it should go away.
The tank has been running for less than 2 months but it is a bigger replacement tank. Had everything in a 55g and wanted to go bigger. It has lots of plants for hiding and none of the plants are taking over the tank. I keep them cut back and under control.
Now I have a lot in the tank, as of this morning.
6x neon tetras
5x black neon tetras
6x blood fin tetras
10x glo-danios
7x Otto cats
4x upside down cats
3x mollies
4x platties
6x dwarf gouramis
3x black khulis
6x glowlight tetras
6x red/blue tetras
2x vampire shrimp
2x bamboo shrimp
10x Amano shrimp
4x ghost shrimp
1x golden nugget pleco
1x clown pleco
1x bristle nose pleco
4x Cory cats

Seems a lot but I just wanted fish that are small in size and a nice community.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store